I want to join the Marines but I can’t run 3 miles in 28 minutes yet. How can I prepare?

I’m a young guy and very eager to join the Marine Corps and selflessly serve my country. I’m very passionate about it. I’m also very healthy and fit, but I can’t run the required 3 miles in 28 minutes for boot camp. I can run about 1 or 1.5 miles now. If I spend a few months dedicating myself to running, doing pull... show more I’m a young guy and very eager to join the Marine Corps and selflessly serve my country. I’m very passionate about it. I’m also very healthy and fit, but I can’t run the required 3 miles in 28 minutes for boot camp. I can run about 1 or 1.5 miles now. If I spend a few months dedicating myself to running, doing pull ups, push ups, crunches, etc, will I be okay?

Also, should I enter the Delayed Entry Program (DEP)? Will that help prepare me for boot camp? I’d appreciate any info from people who’ve experienced it. I’ll be going to Parris Island. I just feel discouraged right now.
Thanks so much