Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 11 months ago

I want to join the Marines but I can’t run 3 miles in 28 minutes yet. How can I prepare?

I’m a young guy and very eager to join the Marine Corps and selflessly serve my country. I’m very passionate about it. I’m also very healthy and fit, but I can’t run the required 3 miles in 28 minutes for boot camp. I can run about 1 or 1.5 miles now. If I spend a few months dedicating myself to running, doing pull ups, push ups, crunches, etc, will I be okay?

Also, should I enter the Delayed Entry Program (DEP)? Will that help prepare me for boot camp? I’d appreciate any info from people who’ve experienced it. I’ll be going to Parris Island. I just feel discouraged right now.

Thanks so much

Favorite Answer

Start running from pole to pole at the park then increase it day by day and you’ll get there I had to start doing that for the army.

• RICK

If all you can do is 1.5 miles as a young man there is no way you are even in average shape let alone good shape

DEP is not something you choose to join, most people are forced into DEP

because you cannot enlist and ship to boot immediantly

2. you say your fit, but then you cannot run 3 miles-- your defination of being fit is different than everyone elses

3. your worrying about the PT test-- thats just a test-- you run far more than that while in boot and later while doing PT-- 5 to 7 miles runs are the norm

You're not a brother are you?

If you can't hack 3 miles in 28 minutes you can be certified as a couch potato and the Marines won't want you.

• jonathan11 months agoReport

You’re an arrogant asshole and I’m going to prove you wrong!