Boss asking me to do something I CANT legally do?

I work for an after school program. I’m working here until I can find full time work as I was recently laid off from my full time job. One of my job duties is to drive to one of the local elementary schools and pick up some children attending the after school program. (Note; I’m not even sure this is legal I think... show more I work for an after school program. I’m working here until I can find full time work as I was recently laid off from my full time job. One of my job duties is to drive to one of the local elementary schools and pick up some children attending the after school program. (Note; I’m not even sure this is legal I think you need a special permit to do this.)

Anyway, the day before the after school program started I was rear ended pretty badly. I was given a rental car and was told i could not under any circumstances transport these children to and from the elementary schools with the rental vehicle.

I explained that to my boss and she was fine with it until my coworker got a DUI and lost her license and another coworker quit.

Yesterday, my boss informed me that I have no choice and have to pick up children from one of the local elementary schools starting on Monday. I explained to her and even SHOWED HER paperwork that stated legally I can’t do this until my car is fixed.

She told me she did not care and that the reason she hired me for the after school program is because she needs drivers to pick up these kids. She even asked me if I would give my rental car to a friend and drive their car all next week until my car was fixed. She told me I better find a way to pick up these children on Monday and that I better be there one way or another.

I don’t know what to do!!!
I can’t afford to lose this job but LEGALLY I cannot do it until my car is fixed.