Is pet sitting a good job? Do companies only cater to dogs and cats, or are there sitters for exotic animals? How do I start?

This is directed at people who are or have been pet sitters, or have hired pet sitters in the past. If you aren't any of those please don't answer. I'm a college student and I love animals more than people and even life itself. I've worked with animals before, done extensive research on a... show more This is directed at people who are or have been pet sitters, or have hired pet sitters in the past. If you aren't any of those please don't answer.

I'm a college student and I love animals more than people and even life itself.

I've worked with animals before, done extensive research on a variety of breeds and species, and have had animals all my life. My area of knowledge covers common pets like dogs and cats, as well as less common pets like: rabbits, fresh water fish, hamsters, guinea pigs, rats, mice, etc... and even exotics like: salt water fish, exotic birds, colubrids, constrictors, monitor lizards, blue tongue skinks, bearded dragons, tarantulas, forest scorpions, hissing cockroaches, and much more. I fear no animal alive.

I have been bitten, jumped on, scratched, strung, and pissed on, on such a multitude of occasions that the prospect of that happening doesn't bother me.

I'll tenderly mention I worked at a pet store, for two years and I was the best person they had (they made sure I knew). I liked that job but left because they refused me a raise, and refused to let me work full time.

I understand that every animal is unique in personality regardless of species, and I know how to read their behavior.

I've looked into the career understand that I need to get bonded and insured but I haven't the slightest clue how to do that or where to even start. I know certifications also help but I don't know where to get those. Direction and advice would be great.
Update: Also what are the general pros and cons of the job, what do pet sitters make starting out, will they even consider hiring a college student, and are there companies to stick with or defiantly avoid (for this I will add that I live on the east coast of the USA)?
1 answer 1