Jay asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 months ago

Will my shotgun still fire?

I have a Mossberg 88 security 12 gauge shotgun. I wanted to take some length off the weapon, so I sawed off half the stock up until the part you grip with the hand you fire with. Will my shotgun still fire?

It will, but your mindless 'modification' to your shotgun may have a felony charge associated with it. Check overall length. If your shotgun is now less than 26 inches overall length (OAL), you are in violation of the NFA of 1934.

You truly are a Rhodes Scholar - having sawed off some 'wood' - you now some how think it might change how all the metal parts operate? That is like expecting a flat tire to stop the battery from starting a car.

I sure hope your shotgun came with a longer than usual barrel. Because if the length of this shotgun is now less than 26' you have committed a federal felony similar to owning an unregistered machine gun.

Why you ruined a perfectly good stock and did not just go online and buy a pistol grip for it - they only cost a few bucks - makes no sense either. That stock is probably going to cost you $90 to buy a used one - because nobody is going to want to buy a shotgun with a hacksawed stock.

Think twice - cut once.

Don't know why not, but you may have modified a weapon that now must be registered.

In that, there are aftermarket grips you can change out on most shotguns.

My state, the gun would have to be registered 'alternate other weapon' to be legal.

Yes it will fire. No problem. I would recommend shooting it from the waist and not aiming it like a regular

shotgun. In the TV show Miami Vice, Rico would aim like a full stocked shotgun. As people say, Don't try

this at home.

In all likelihood it will be fine.

Unless that your operation made the gun shorter than 26 inches.

The ATF has rules about this.

• BBean

Really difficult to get into the minds of some of the people that asks questions here. Honestly, just what do you think you could have cut inside the stock that would prevent firing? The stock is hollow anyway. Really an interesting modification that I will never recommend. Have you measured the overall length...yet?

• Robin

prehaps you should have asked before cutting it off