Was it rude that I asked people to bring gift cards instead of gifts to my house warming?

I recently moved into a new home, and I’m having a housewarming party this Sunday. I’ve been sending out invitations all month and I have listed at the bottom that gifts are welcome, however in lieu of gifts, I’d appreciate gift cards instead. I sent out some last minute invites today and one person brought to my attention that the statement seemed rude and that she would not be attending because of it. I explained to her that I have a certain theme & colors and I’m afraid that if people bring gifts, I won’t be able to use them. She still insisted that it sounded selfish and greedy.. now I’m wondering if maybe she is right? No one else has mentioned this but her and she is the one friend who speaks her mind no matter what. I’m not sure if others would even say anything if they did feel the same. So I’m asking for second opinions. Was I wrong to ask for gift cards instead of gifts?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Lita
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Yes, it was rude. It's rude to mention gifts at all and it's especially rude to mention gifts on an invitation.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 months ago

Yes, it was rude.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No, not really but some people are easily offended.

• 6 months ago

I don’t know how to add this into my question so I’ll say it here. First off, this is my very first home that I’ve purchased and a lot of my friends and family live out of town and are very excited for me. They’re actually the ones that requested I do something because I wasn’t going to at first.

2nd of all, I never said gifts were REQUIRED. I said they were welcome, but if you were thinking about getting a gift, I’d rather have a gift card. I just don’t see how that came off as rude and greedy. I don’t want someone wasting their money on something if I don’t use it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Unless you are buying the new home you moved into, you shouldn't even be hosting a house warming party. You're just trying to get free gifts any way you can. That is very greedy behavior.

• 6 months ago

it might be since someone got offended by it

• 6 months ago

Typically just state... Please dont bring gifts, just bring yourself. That is all the gifts I need.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes. Very rude.

Asking for gifts of any sort is greedy and grasping.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It is considered tacky to ask for a gift, much less specify the type of gift. You also are assuming people would bring a gift to a housewarming, which isn't necessarily the case.

• Cara
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It doesn't just sound selfish and greedy - it IS selfish and greedy. Obviously.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.