If a man does the following when moving in with a woman & her 17 y/o son who both barely know him, is that a red flag that he’s a con artist?
1. He says he's a widower whose wife was killed in a car accident, and that he has two daughters. Meanwhile, she and her son have never met them or any of his family, nor spoken to them on the phone.
2. Within a month of meeting this woman and moving into her house, he proposed to her while having just met her son.
3. He says that he's a lawyer AND college professor, but meanwhile he has time to drive his fiancée's car to the bus stop every day to pick her up from work (the "two jobs" part is plausible, as you can be a lawyer without leaving the house; however, picking her up from work EVERY day?)
4. He gives her son the "don't test me" look, as if he will spank him if he pushes the limit, and he constantly criticizes him, such as the fact that he never had a job, while telling his fiancée that her son is a spoiled brat who needs to shape up, even though he's in school (translation: NOT sitting around doing nothing) AND is well on his way to graduation. On top of that, he convinces her to set some ground rules for her son regarding his computer and other belongings, such as restricting access to such 'n such on weekdays, won't let him do this 'n that, basically convincing his mom to treat him like he's in the army.
5. He tells his fiancée and her son that he's adopting him, and that her son's last name will legally be changed to his before he graduates, and that his new last name will be on his high school diploma.
- FoofaLv 710 months ago
That's so many red flags that only an idiot would miss them. Guessing you're the son and don't fully understand custody law. Unless this guy formally adopts you (meaning your father is either dead or has had his parental rights stripped) you can't be compelled to take his surname.
- Goldfly252000Lv 710 months ago
Wow I haven't seen this post in a long time. I'm sure most people have forgotten about you by now, but that whole last detail about the adopting him and making him take the last name is hard to forget. Truth is you should be talking to your mommy. I don't mean talking to her about why she married this guy, that she likely doesn't even know, but talking to her about why she lets you post stupid troll posts.
- EvaLv 710 months ago
I have to ask what is wrong with that woman, to allow someone to move into her home after only knowing him for less than a month and why would she accept a proposal from someone she hardly knows? Googling his name would be a good place to start. If he is a lawyer, he should be listed on the state's dept. of education website since he has to be licensed. Is he paying anything toward household expenses or is she still footing all the bills? He can't adopt her son without her and his father's permission. Just because he says he wants to doesn't mean he can.
- LegFuJohnsonLv 710 months ago
I'd have a lot more questions for the woman based on these scenarios.
And it's not hard to confirm if he works at a given college, or law firm for that matter.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous10 months ago
Naw. He sounds a little cranky but totally legit.