How come his charge is assault and battery against family member and not felony strangulation?

(Virginia) me and my ex boyfriend had a argument and he came up from behind me and started strangling me. Threw me on the bed and strangled me so hard that I couldn't breathe. I called the police and told them what happened. I didn't have any marks on me but I did sound hoarse to the officer. They arrested... show more (Virginia) me and my ex boyfriend had a argument and he came up from behind me and started strangling me. Threw me on the bed and strangled me so hard that I couldn't breathe. I called the police and told them what happened. I didn't have any marks on me but I did sound hoarse to the officer. They arrested him and gave me a emergency protection order. I noticed on my subpoena as a witness it has a charge of assault and battery on a family member but not as a strangulation. Why is that?