Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 4 months ago

Why are some dog walkers so afraid of horses?

So today I took my companion mare out for a walk in the woods, she is not ridden horse, so I just lead her in hand, and my sister had our companion pony, who was also lead by hand, and these 2 women were coming in our direction, so we took the horses on to the side, and one of them was "should we just walk past you?" I was like yeah, and as she was walking past she said to my horse "stay" I was like excuse me !? Did she undersimated my strength that I can t handle my horse ? so why are dog walkers so scared of horses ?

• Snezzy
    Favorite Answer

I am more bothered when a dog approaches the horse's hooves with the intent of biting. Do I fear for the horse? No, I fear the horse will kick the dog, or stomp on it.

Me: "Get that dog! Get that dog! Get that dog!"

Dog people: (Looking at sky, what, we don't own no dog.)

Horse: (Kicks dog over backwards.)

Dog people: "Poor little Poopsie. The mean, horrible horse kicked poor little Poopsie!"

Me, to myself: "Horse, that was superb. Dog got just the right lesson, and not hurt badly."

• patty

horses are so big that's why

1) Horses have right-of-way on a trail. It was strange of you to step off the trail to yield to a hiker with a dog. That plus the fact that you weren't riding probably gave them the impression that you were inexperienced.

2) It was polite of them to stop and ask how to proceed in a way that would be safest for everyone.

3) She had no clue how your horse would respond and whether you would be able to manage it or not, therefore she asked.

4) "Did she undersimated my strength that I can t handle my horse ?" You've over-estimated your strength if you think you can win a strength battle with a horse.

Gee, maybe because of how HUGE they are and because they have absolutely NO way too know how well behaved and calm they are. Instead of going "Yeah" like an immature little prat you should have said " Thank you." and stopped and let them pass.

Get over yourself. You sound like a teenager so these aren't even your horses, little one. They're mommy and daddy's.

Maybe they weren't afraid of the horse as much as they were uncertain how their dogs would react to walking past a horse. Not every dog is accustomed to being around horses. And while you may be familiar with what horses do, many people are not. Do you have no ability to see things from someone else's point of view?

Heard on a tv drama recently: "I always stay away from something that weighs a thousand pounds and has a brain the size of a walnut."

Never heard of that before

• Joe

Just unfamiliarity.

Be appreciative that she was courteous enough to ask, and not make assumptions. Not every dog owner knows or understands horses.

I could tell you stories about the other extreme...