Does this name for a character sound good?

So my character is a female who happens to be fashionable and into cinema and film. The name is Karlie Boheme and I want to know if it sounds pretty and realistic like a normal name. Thanks!

It sounds ludicrous.

Sorry: but you did ask.

I'd have to read what you've written to determine that. I've written a story about an actress.

http://tiolibooks.com/blank_1.html

Not the last name. Karlie is good though. Karlie Falcon ? Maybe? or Katie Falcon ? Or what about Bluette Jones?

• Marli

If your character or her agent made up the name because it sounded glamourous, yes. If her parents gave her that name, it sounds contrived.

I read that Lucille LaSoeur was Joan Crawford's real name, and that her studio changed it to "Joan Crawford" because it sounded both classy and American. I have to admit that Olivia de Havilland lucked out with her birth name. It's her real name and sounds 1930s movie star classy. Her sister had to change her name to Joan Fontaine (a good choice, IMO) because Olivia insisted that she did not want to be confused with her. "One de Havilland in pictures was enough."

So use your character's name.

Nobody holds their newborn, guesses what kind of teen or adult they'll become, and gives them a name that suits that kind of person. For that reason, your name sounds phony and forced, especially the surname. I could live with Karlie if you make it clear it's a nickname for a more formal name that made sense to the parents at the time of the birth. Maybe the real name is Carla, Carlotta, or Caroline.

That's the bottom line, really. Who the parents are when their baby is born is the only basis for the name. (My parents happened to be embracing a particular part of our ancestry and we all have fairly ethnic names we get to spell for others our entire lives. I never reveal my name online--long story--but my sister's was Madb. No typo. She changed it legally when she reached adulthood, to Maev. Which she still has to spell for everyone.) Rural people in Tennessee are going to pick very different names for their infants than people who come from Old Money, right? So you absolutely have to know more about her parents to get it right.

If you want to suggest a Bohemian quality, look to the names in the area once known as Bohemia. (I think it's now part of the Czech Republic, but you'd want to look that up.) Or find a real surname that sounds like it. There's a famous coach named Boeheim, for instance.

• Tina

Madb is not weird but Irish. She is the Queen of Connacht in the Irish epic 'The Cattle Raid of Cooley.'

• Cogito

No - it sounds pretentious and really fake.

People are given names at birth. They have no bearing whatsoever on their character in later life.

• Tina

No. Karlie sounds like an unnecessarily complex version of Carla and and how do you pronounce Boheme? like the opera?

I'm with Amber and Madeleine. Boheme isn't even a real last name. Keep it simple and keep in mind that names don't match personality, looks, or even career paths.

I don't like the second name - it's a bit too much. What either happened to "Smith"?

it sounds good to me