Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsHome Theatre · 4 months ago

Should I get a regular or upscaling DVD player?

Our current DVD player still works, but it's pretty old, takes up way too much space and shows all our movies in square CRT TV-sized display, so I'd like to get a new one.

Thing is I'm not sure whether I should get a regular DVD player or one of these 'upscaling' players I see people talking about these days.

I don't know what upscaling players have to offer in comparison to regular players. (I'm not all that fond of overly-modernised graphics like incredibly fluid motion/frame blending and such) so I don't know which I'd prefer.

Can anyone offer some advice for me? Thank you in advance

Hi. Sounds like You're watching in "Letterbox". You may want to upgrade the TV too.

But You'lll want to spend the slightly extra on a BluRay player, & if it has a USB connection too it's a LOT better.

You'll probably also find that most of them have WiFi capability - which allows them to access things like Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, some fun low-budget streaming apps & a bunch of other stuff like Pandora & others right through a WiFi link.

If You're gonna get 1 extra feature, spend the extra @30 for all of them.

G'Luck!!!

No, you should not.

if you want to part with a weeks wages,,have at it,visit best buy,,if you have an old analog tube/glass screen tv,,get a modulator,and a used player of your preference from a thrift shop,they have them for ten bucks,

old is gold.my zenith is from 1991,still has a nice balance & definition of forests greens,earthtones & blues,I do have to diddle a bit with zeniths color ,contrast on-board picture adjusters on the button & control panel.

All DVD players have the ability to output video in At Least two aspect ratios.

Find the manual and read it to learn how to change the aspect setting.

Upscaling, which sort of fakes better image quality from lower-resolution sources,

works with newer TVs, but TVs now on the market generally have that function built-in.

Get a BluRay player. Most of them upscale DVDs as standard, and upscaling means that the resulting picture quality will be better than regular DVD picture levels.

Plus, with more and more moving to streaming, it is possible that in a few years, finding new disc playersw ill be far harder than it is now. So, this is the time to get a proper modern disc player, and there's no reason to not spend an extra $20 and get a BluRay player over a DVD-only player.

Many discs offer a choice of format that includes 16 x 9 or 4;3 and several Televisions have a feature to allow filling the screen available.Most modern DVDs offer better than ntsc raster scale pixel counts anyway. If your TV doesn't' have a scalier built in. I'd recommend a blue-ray player with that feature. It It really shouldn't cost any more, so there is no reason not to assure it has that feature.

• P

Just get a regular blue-ray player and you will be fine. Modern TV's do their own upscaling. That said some old DVD's will never play in a real widescreen format, so you have to be mindful of what you are trying to watch.

maybe you can get them both

• AVDADDY

Pearl, we can always depend upon you to come up with a completely worthless response.