Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 9 months ago

Do motorcycle tires have to "break in"?

I just got two new Dunlops, they feel Weird. I've bought old, used and new tires in the past, for my Honda and my Harley, a new Kenda and an old , used Shinko. They felt Fine from day one. Are Dunlops Like this, nowadays, or are they defective?

Maybe I should check Date Codes? I doubt a dealer would sell me old ones, but, my bike takes an odd size. They stopped making this model 2 years ago. Maybe these sat in a warehouse in 109 degree weather a couple years?

Code on front (the one that handles odd) is 2119, so that's what, late April of 2019?

Front is absolutely stock, just like old one. And, the "arrow" points right, yes.

I did argue about rear tire, I need a 180/55-17, he argued that it's "wrong". The old tire made her ride better on long trips, handle better, too. The machine is Not a Sportster.

I am Answering queries. Should I Not, then? Ron, I've run into you and your Harley -Hating UnAmerican attitude before. Blocked.

F: You are fulla it.

RE; If You have a blowout 3 miles from Globe, get towed to Only motorcycle shop in town, who refuse to plug your tire, you are forced to buy a used one. Unless you want to wait 2 days for them to order it, or pay for a taxi or a tow to Phoenix, another 50 miles. The tow Alone could easily add up to $400. I opted for the used Shinko. I got back on the road in 1 1/2 hours, got to Mormon Lake just as it got dark.

Favorite Answer

Yes, definitely.

It takes about two hundred miles to wear off the manufacturing coating so caution is advised.

• Lv 5

I have provided a link from people who know much more than you about motorbike tyres,. You also make unfounded accusations which is Liberal trait. My 16% BAs are earned and if you can disprove that do so, or hold your tongue. You're another weird Yank and jealous because your answers are rubbish.

Well, when the arrow points to the right direction there still is the issue of front or rear wheel tire. Their direction is opposite. Some tires can be used as both but the arrow has to be in the other direction.

Tires have a thin line just along the rim, In the first months one checks more then ones if the tire is still mounted straight.

Car tires can be little wider but motorcycle tires are never mounted at a smaller rim.

Not only have new tires wax on them and dirt as a result but the rubber is weak and therefor has to be broken in. Being outside and wet hardens them. Personally I would not want tires completely new because then they wear sooner. Factories and traders often have policy about when they start and stop selling.

Tell me about new tires feeling strange and not being able to steer with them. You can almost not hold the bike straight up and they do not come out of a turn without correction of the steering. Usually they have to get into shape and that happens on high tire pressure. Recommendations of tire manufacturers will be higher then those from the motorcycle. Those are merely for comfort. So get the pressure up to a 40 psi on front and 44 psi at the rear. See what happens. Also there is a chance that the vents are bad since those have small cores and there is even less air then what you thought. Mount good caps is a safe measure and when one feels it is difficult pushing the motorcycle a little then pressure must be low.

High pressure prevents wear on one side (where the rubber bends) and before the treads (where the rubber is stretched).

Mounting tires involves the wheel so better take care those turn smoothly and the bearings do not tremble. Check the fork and if the fork/handlebar is a 90 degrees angle. You ride better when the rear suspension is stiff enough, those wear soon enough and demand higher positions.

Tires need balancing and the right position. Right positioned is a colored dot as the lightest point of a tire close to the valve stem what has a real thick rubber on the inside of the wheel as far as tubeless concerns. Then they would have to put lead weights on the rim. I am having a stiff fluid inside that balances dynamically. My bet is on the lowest possible tire pressure though, like 32 up front and 38 rear. That would bend a new tire out of shape. Also watch for deforming on the path of contact because too high of pressure can do that.

• DanRSN

A lot of manufacturers put some release agent in the moulds to be able to recover the tyre from the mould easily. This will be on the tyre. All you, or the person fitting the tyre needs to do is wipe it over with some sort of alcohol, white spirit/brake cleaner/meths and it should be fine.

Some motorcycle tires have a specific direction to install. Look on the side of your tire for an arrow that will indicate the direction the tire should turn when going forward. If it is backwards, you should have them remounted to the correct direction.

I would never put a used pair of tires on a bike - new Shinko tires are reasonably priced, and they are who I've gone with ever since I bought the first pair for my '04 Shadow Spirit (a set of tires cost what I used to pay for just the back tire).

But yes - it's a good idea to be a little cautious for the first 100-150 miles to make sure they got mounted properly, don't have any defects, and get any factory crap off of them.

• Road Warrior9 months agoReport

You put a used one on when you blow it on your vacation in a little burg of 5,000, and the only shop in town has one used one. And, you cannot wait 2 days for them to order it. And, it is the only shop for 50 miles. And you cant Walk to Phoenix..

• Bear

Are they definitely the right size,and have they been put on the right way round?

What's the manufacturing date code on the tires? Could be they've been sitting around for years.