promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Kenny asked in PetsCats · 10 months ago

is my cat gonna be ok?

he stuck his little hands down the sink drain and got that gunk stuff all over his paws. i could only wash some of it off, and he started licking the rest. i would have called petco, but theyre not open for another hour.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Angie
    Lv 4
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Unless you recently put something toxic down the drain such as drain cleaner, he will be fine. Cats clean themselves constantly, including their paws after they have used litter boxes. Cats love to be clean, and spend the majority of their awake time cleaning themselves. They, no doubt, come into contact with some pretty nasty things regularly, but their immune systems are very well accustomed and equipped to deal with the majority of the bacteria and other nasty germs they come into contact with.Their saliva has antiseptic properties which aids them in keeping clean and healthy. Clean his paws as best you can with Dawn original dish detergent, rinse well, and he will be just fine.

• ...Show all comments
    • Angie
      Lv 4
      10 months agoReport

LOL. I agree there is a time and place for a vet, but like you said, a little common sense goes a very long way!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Sam
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

My cats lick their butts and prefer to drink dirty pond water, even with they have a clean bowl of fresh water available.

and they are very healthy cats. .

In other words, you have nothing to worry about.

Source(s): I've got seven rescue cats with ages ranging for 6 months to 13 years and they never get sick. The cat toys they play with have mopped the floors for years, being bitten, pawed, chews, shared, and licked. The inside of a drain pipe couldn't have more bacteria than many of my cats play things. .
  • 10 months ago

Unless you just put drano down there, he's going to be fine.

• Sam
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

true and I know of no cat who would be interested in the taste or smell of sodium hydroxide (lye/drano). Cats are not as stupid as humans.

• PR
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Just wash his paws with dish soap and rinse thoroughly. Petco won't be able to do anything besides sell you expensive shampoo. Just wash his paws. Cats get into all sorts of things, including dead animals they kill for themselves. Yes, they are clean animals because they have agents in their mouths that help fight the bacteria.

• Sam
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

expensive shampoo or since they have a vet service, they'll probably say to bring the cat in, and charge them for an exam, needlessly. The asker can observe the cat just as good. and save the money.. Maybe the asker can buy kitty a treat or toy with a little of the money you saved her ;)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Can you tape a plastic bag over his paws in the meantime.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.