Considering what's happening in the Amazon, do you intend to plant more trees in your own area?

No, we're doing "timber stand improvement" to get rid of some of the regenerated species that have clogged up our local forest in the past 100 years or so.

I'm already surrounded by more trees than the soils will bear, so in the past year we've just had a couple thousand trees cut and sent out to become boards, firewood or chips. One of our cutters averages about 300 trees per day, if it's not too steep.

There are approximately 1,000 new trees per acre already sprouting in the area we cut last year, all from natural seed. Some future generation will be able to thin them out as necessary and appropriate.

our house is full of plants including tree's i enjoy gardening despite im new to the hobby but i do indoor gardening for the past year trying to take things outdoor due to cost of running lights and fans and space. i also enjoy it because a lot of houses here in Hawaii don't actually have gardens you drive around a neighborhood and you will see most homes lack an actual garden they have space for it but they usually don't use it or paved over it.

my grandpa owns the house and likes to garden so i don't mess with it but when i have to take over i will be a complete landscape to make it look nice and healthy. right now our garden is just a bunch of random plants both alive and dead/dying but needs a TON of work and is also filled with diseases and pests.

No. The Amazon has no bearing on my decisions to plant trees here in the temperate US. Plus the Amazon rainforest will grow back in nothing flat. Forest fires are a natural process and in some types of forests are essential for the proper growth of the forest. This is just PC hype / knee - jerk reaction by naive people who really don't understand how forests work.

Well, I have been planting more trees and shrubs in my yard for several years, but not only for what is happening in the Amazon, but for what is happening even here in the U.S.! If the bark beetle isn't eating down the trees, the wood industry is as well!

• bond

Actually most 1st world countries have increased forest and trees in the past 100 years. Its the undeveloped world that is losing trees.

I own 16 acres in a forest management plan, and another 16 acres growing alfalfa. Not going to replace my alfalfa because reducing grass increases beef corn consumption, corn makes cows fart. "They" say that's bad.

What's going on in the Amazon is some "developed" countries are making near sighted environmental laws that regulate domestic behavior, but can't regulate international. Domestic laws have to create a closed loop. Our laws are pouring cash out of the country, that cash becomes carbon.

The US government essentially buys soy to sell to refiners at a cheaper price. This increases soy demand worldwide. Brazil responds by deforesting to grow soy. Deforest means releasing carbon from the trees into the air. So US government "green" policy is only green because that is the color of money, it actually hurts the environment.

The same way the manufacturing regs hurt the US. If you push the steel refining emission limits too far down then companies from India who aren't restricted by our laws produce steel parts, then create even more emissions when they burn more fuel to ship it here.

So if you wan't to make national laws you got to close the loop and act like a... Nationalist. (And you got to stop the press from tacking on race to anything they don't like.) If domestic (national) environmental laws cause an increase of $1000/ton of steel, then you need a tariff on products from countries that don't hold to the same standards. You got add some for labor and medical too, our property taxes causes retirees to have to have income to pay it, so we increase social security, which is a payroll tax. We tax payroll for medicare. If you take a job away from someone paying elder support taxes and send that job to India then maybe you should tax the products from India to pay our elder support taxes. You got to make a closed loop for national laws to work, otherwise it becomes a spigot.

trees don't naturally grow successfully in all areas.

there is a reason why the prairies of the Midwest are still prairie, even after hundreds of years. In those area trees grow along rivers, streams and lakes, which are not very plentiful to begin with.

We plant trees where we can and don't bother where they don't grow. In some cases, low bush types grow better than actual trees do. Even the soil is different in those areas.

• ckngbbbls

nope..those won't stand 20 below zero winters which are also common in upper midwest.. We live in prairie country. It is what it is.

My insurerers get very antsy about trees closer than 5m to the property. So that isn't going to happen.

• elhigh

Not at this moment, but I don't have plans to cut any down, either. In a few years I'll be planting a small orchard.

[edit]

I might, and I might not. In order to make room for the orchard I would have to cut down a mature ash that provides shade and living space for lots of small wildlife.

I was wondering if you would come back with the sort of response you did: short sighted and reactive. I am trying to take a holistic approach that is the healthiest not just for my yard but the environment in general. Removing a tree before its time can only be disruptive and I see no need to do that, Amazon fires notwithstanding.

• Shadow Lady

You may want to consider planting your orchard a bit earlier.

• JetDoc

If I planted any more trees on my property, I wouldn't have room for the house.