How does a rainforest catch on fire?

The Amazon rainforest is on fire

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Mmm J
    Lv 7
    12 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Smokey Bear ("the" is not his middle name) was not there to warn Brazilians, "Only you can stop forest fires."

• james
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Wish I could send photos to you of how different rain forest look in the wet season as in the dry season. In the dry season things can get dessert dry. In the wet season it rains every day so wet. in the dry season a fire starts burns down into the peat for a foot & smolders till rains come. Dry winds once cover is gone pick up ash & sparks to spread it more. Many areas have been cleared so wind can get down to the ground. That set in forest. So fan the fires. Drainage ditch's have been put in lowering the water table in many areas. But that is ok. It is a hungry world. Beans, banana's & livestock taste better than wild animals.

• andy
    Lv 4
    11 months ago

by rubbing two sticks together

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

I often pop down to my local rainforest armed with a Zippo.

Failing that I take Ray Mears and a couple of sticks.

It's soon ablaze in a wild fashion.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

Same way that any other forest can catch on fire. The Amazon is NOT a dripping wet jungle like you see in the movies. Much of what is burning is open land where the trees have been cleared for farming, and the fires were intentionally started by people who want to use the land to grow crops.

• 12 months ago

Logging and arson to clear the land for grazing and construction. It all started when Brasilia was built far upstream, to stimulate destruction of the forest.

• 12 months ago

The spirit of fire is life.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

Many of the fires are intentionally fueled and set to clear the land for new construction.

More people with more money means more building.

If we want to protect the environment, the only hope is to stop having babies.

• 12 months ago

A satellite image from NASA shows the fires raging in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil in August 2019. ... The environmental minister, Ricardo Salles, tweeted on Wednesday that the fires were caused by dry weather, wind, and heat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.