promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 9 months ago

Has your daughter come back from Australia? Yes, she______there for three years. Answer: A. Has stayed, B. Stays, C. Stayed, D. Had stayed?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I wouldn't use "stay" there, but some Americans, particularly Southerners, use it instead of "live," meaning "reside," as in "she lived there for three years."

In the sentence, she does not live there now, which eliminates the present "stays" and the present perfect "has stayed." The past perfect "had stayed" would indicate that she stayed there before some other action in the past. Since no such action is mentioned, it's the simple past "stayed."

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

C, stayed..........................

• RP
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

C is okay, but you might also consider the unspecified E (was).

• 9 months ago

the answer does not actually respond to the question, but if she is back already, then the simple past would likely be appropriate: she stayed for three years, but is back now. She had spent three years there, but returned last week. She has been there for three years now, and we have no idea when she will be coming back.

The use of the verb to stay is open to discussion. I don't know that I would use it in this particular situation. She was there for three years but is back now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

Stayed. It is a simple statement of a past event.

Most people would say: Has your daughter come back from Australia?

Yes, she was there for three years.

• 9 months ago

A native speaker wouldn’t use “stay” here — they would say “she has been there” or “she was there”.

• David
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Option C is the best choice

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.