... asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 11 months ago

Will diffusing my wavy hair almost everyday damage it?

So basically I’ve been super bad to my hair, I used to flat iron it almost everyday but recently I quit my flat iron cold turkey and switched to embracing my natural hair and using diffuser because it’s VERY thick and takes 4 hours to dry completely and I have class in the mornings so I don’t have time to let it air dry. Is diffusing it every morning for school just as bad as flat ironing it or am I doing my hair any better?

Washing and drying your hair every single day will cause more damage than not doing that -- but less than a flat iron. I'd encourage you to consider some of the following:

1. Wash and dry every other day. Pull it back or up or braid it on the 2nd day if it feels a little dirty.

2. Wash in the evenings and let it dry naturally rather than try to do the whole thing every morning which forces you to use the dryer.

3. Use a heat/blow dry protectant or other products for curly hair to help retain moisture in those curls.

• Diffusing your hair isn't as bad as applying direct heat. If you're worried about heat damage, use a heat protector on your hair. Mine takes a while to dry naturally too, my hair is fine but there's a lot of it.