Carpal tunnel syndrome?

Hello,

I noticed that my writs always hurts randomly. Maybe every couple months It hurts when I bend it back or forward and it’ll be like that for a couple days and then it will go back to normal. I don’t remember if it only affects my right wrist(what is going on now) or also my left wrist. My fingers don’t hurt nor does my hand I do wake up in the morning with my hand hurting but I always associated it with sleeping on it etc. I also do always sleep on my hands arms because that my favorite position to fall asleep. I am also a huge hypochondriac and tend to worry a lot. I’m a 21 F btw. If that helps

Thank you in advance!

• Shay

One of the main causes of wrist issues is repetitive motion. This could be from a job or from an activity that you do for fun. Doing any activity with the hands for long periods of time can cause issues. Texting on a cell phone or playing video games could cause issues. Doing a job that involves the same motion repeatedly can be a problem.

In some cases, it is just swelling and stopping the activity for a few days will relieve the symptoms. In more severe cases, damage has been done to the nerves. If you go to a doctor, the doctor is going to ask you things about what type of work you do and what you do in your spare time since most of these issues are associated with what you are doing.

So, some tips to improve the problems. Find some exercises to stretch the wrists and hands. Do the stretches when you get up in the morning and before you go to bed at night. Avoid doing any one activity for too long without a break. If you are having problems, ibuprofen is good for reducing the swelling that might be causing the problems. Here is a link to three samples of easy stretches for the wrist: https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/zm2666

If these things don't help then be sure to get checked by a doctor to avoid causing more damage.