Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 9 months ago

Should I take a nurse practitioner route or UX Research/Design?

I graduated from my under graduated in psych 5 years ago an have worked in various non-profits with a strong focus in health care/behavioral health. I worked with a lot of Nurse Practitioners and have been working towards taking pre-reqs and gaining experience to apply to grad school. I do feel like this is a safe route for me and I am afraid I may feel boxed in as being an NP. I recently started exploring UX Research/Design careers that seem appealing. What appeals to me is that it can allow me to be creative and has aspects of psychology. I like the idea of being able to work different projects as well and with different companies. I was thinking of applying to both programs and seeing what happens. I have better chances of getting into NP schools. I’m feeling stuck and seeking any advice/insight. I guess I am ultimately afraid of wasting time even though I’m sure no choice is a wrong choice.

As others have said, becoming a nurse practitioner requires you to go to nursing school first. You would also be at a great disadvantage finding jobs if you go back to school to get your RN and go straight to a nurse practitioner program. You would also likely be doing a disservice to your patients as many of those programs rely on students having a good amount of nursing experience. If you do not have your RN you should look into physician assistant programs. PAs have a virtually identical scope of practice but PA school does not require a nursing degree and most programs include much more clinical experience to bridge the gap of not having prior nursing experience. This option will likely be faster and cheaper.

As far as which career to go with, only you can answer that. Random opinions from online people who don't know you matter very little.

You'd need to become an RN first before becoming a nurse practitioner. There are a (very) few combined programs, but not many at all, and even if you did get into one of them, as Bird says, you'd be at a disadvantage once you graduated, since 99% of the new NPs will have had several years of real nursing experience, and it's these who you'll be competing against for jobs.

So, the viable career path would be a post-bacc nursing course to get your BSN, then take the RN exam and work for a couple of years as an RN, before you go to NP school.

NP is an advanced *nursing* role, but it sounds like you have no *nursing* experience of any kind at this point. If you do choose that route, make yourself very aware of the job market in your area. Some places are absolutely saturated, and some NPs work as staff RNs to avoid taking a big pay cut.

Your lack of experience in nursing will make you a far less competitive candidate for many jobs. And if you graduate from a "diploma mill" type of school, you can count that as another strike against you.

I know nothing about the other career you mention.

Go what your heart desires only you know by heart what your strength is