Legality on finding abandoned dog?

Long story short. Found the sweetest dog and she was abandoned by someone who was suppose to care for them while these people were away for rehab and the way I have been in contact with the owner(s) has literally been a runaround and no commitment to reuniting these dog in anyway. So I had offered that I can find a... show more Long story short. Found the sweetest dog and she was abandoned by someone who was suppose to care for them while these people were away for rehab and the way I have been in contact with the owner(s) has literally been a runaround and no commitment to reuniting these dog in anyway. So I had offered that I can find a good home for this dog or turn her in into an animal rescue group. I don’t want any legal issues as I know dogs are property but I consider them abandonded when they were left on a field left to die by a negligent care taker. Have been in contact with one of their family friend, grandpa and the owner(s) som themselves and they have no initiative or urgency when it comes to getting this dog into a good situation. I did consider taking her into a shelter but the jurisdiction that I found her in leads her to a kill shelter and from the comments I’ve read, they tend to put down older dogs faster and she is a bit aged. I need some advice. What should I do?
In California.
6 answers 6