Wren asked in HealthWomen's Health · 6 months ago

How do I know if I'm about to have my first period?

I'm 14 and I haven't started yet, so I've had many false alarms thinking every bad stomachache is a cramp. I spotted maybe around a month ago (I think at least), are there any other ways than this stomachache and the spotting that might give me a clue to if I'm just constipated or starting my cycle?

• MissA

Not really. There's a lot going on in your lower abdomen besides your uterus and ovaries.

There is absolutely nothing the matter with not having your period at your age. It's just part of normal human variation.

Your early periods are likely to be rather light. The first symptom will probably be a bit of spotting, so it's time to get some panty liners with "wings" to keep them in place. Wear these all the time so as to prevent embarrassing stains, and also have on hand some more substantial pads to use when your period actually arrives.

Most females graduate to tampons sooner or later. An older friend or adult woman can give you a lot of advice on how to manage your periods.

The way you'll know you're having your real first period is if you feel something wet around your vagina, you take a look, and see that there's blood. TA-DA, you've just started your period. Another way of telling it's actually your period is your vagina will be sore.

Source(s): U by Kotex