My daughter wants a side shave and she is 11.?

I support her having her own style and expressing herself in any way she wants. She has very curly hair and she has convinced me that a side shave not only helps with doing her hair every morning(easier) but also has showed me pics of side shaves with curly hair like hers. I'm kind of skeptical about it because bullying is hitting hard these days, my daughter is very different from the kids at school she likes rock and her wardrobe is from hot topic. She is atheist and I support her in that. She is also in advanced classes she is very smart. I'm taking college classes and she understands all my homework. She says she doesnt care what others think about her and I can see that cause she doesnt follow the trend she likes to be different. Should I let her get the side shave?

• edward
    Favorite Answer

I would get her the tight side braids before she decides to shave it off, in case she doesn’t like the way it looks, she can always have the braids taken out and it won’t take as long as growing her hair out again

Sure. She may like it, she may decide she hates it. But either way she'll have to live with it for a while.

• GEEGEE

If you think she has the confidence to offset any "smart" remarks from classmates, I'd be inclined to say yes.

I would tell her no in this situation because if you let her do it now, she'll most likely regret it later. However I'd tell her that she needs to wait until she's 12 or 13 if she still wants to do it then.

Based upon your first sentence, "I support her having her own style and expressing herself in any way she wants.", yes. Its not like it won't grow back. But as a parent you should get her to stop lying to herself about not following the trend or care what others think of her. Those are just lies you tell yourself to not look like a cheerleader. But in reality she is choosing to emulate the trends of others she better identifies.

then she will want a baby at 13

• Tri-Harder

Anyone who thinks buzzing the side of her hair will make her want a baby takes "ignorant" to a whole new level.

You're the parent and she is the kid. In my opinion she is way to young for a hairstyle like that. maybe try to convince her to try something more her age or wait until she is older and she wont regret it later. I cut my hair super short and then a year later I regretted it and just wanted my long wavy hair back :)

Your child. Your choice.

If she hasn't been bullied for being different so far or if she is ignoring it so far, then it will probably be fine.

Besides, trolls aren't usually the targets of bullies.

• alyna9 months agoReport

Good advice, thanks. Your last sentence doesnt make sense...

It's just hair. It'll grow back.

I'll take troll for $1,000 Alex

• alyna9 months agoReport

Cash app that to me instead susan