I don’t stay at jobs? What do I do?

I’m 27 years old and I only usually stay at jobs for a few days. One job I stayed at for a month. I was abused as a child and at 18 I left with a 46 year old to have some kind of freedom who didn’t let me work but I did work as a teen a little. I ended up getting on ssi for severe depression. I’ve been on ssi for 8 years. I am well enough to work and the depression was due to him. I’m having a problem staying at jobs. I go and then quit after a few days. I’ve just started working as of last year and I’ve worked too many places to count. Not sure what to do. My parents never put a work ethic into me, I was extremely held back. My mom encourages me not to go to jobs, she claims she’s worried something will happen to me. I really want to work, I don’t know what to do or what’s wrong with me. Advice anyone? I feel like such a failure.

• PAMELA

If you really wanted to work you would work and not be so stupid, but hey, it is your life you are wasting.

Yes: get into therapy. You may find greater understanding, support and guidance out of this morass. Good wishes,

• Ambar

You are not a failure, the times we live in and the economy is rough, and you have been through a lot which still affects you today. I am sorry about what you are struggling with, I know it is not easy. The good news is, although managing is not easy, it is possible! You CAN do it! With some guidance, effort, and not giving up, you CAN cope, you CAN hold down a job, you CAN be happy.

Having a positive attitude makes all the difference, but it’s easier said than done, the following link tells us how … https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/awake...

Here is some advice on finding and keeping a job, see the following link … https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g2005...

For advice on coping and managing depression, which will also improve your job situation, see the following link, scroll down to the subheading “Depression” … https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/peace-happin...

This website has helped millions improve their lives and cope with their problems, the information is so practical, I love using Jw.org and share it with everyone.

maybe you should talk to a counselor about all this, they might be able to help you out

You are just lazy and don't really want to work, stop blaming other people for you problem and just stick it out.

STOP BLAMING your problems on other people and things.

You need some psychological help, so get it. You may need some medication, so get it. If you are on medication, perhaps you need to try something else.

Again, stop playing some type of victim. In today's world, there is advanced knowledge about the human mind, so I advise you to get the help you need and stick with something long enough to make it count.

You have to stop blaming everyone else for your problems. You are an adult now and must seek the help you need to live a normal and productive lifestyle.

Reading between the lines, your mother sounds like a terrible parent. No parent who supports their children's independence is going to tell them NOT to work. It sounds like your mother's weird thoughts are an attempt to keep you crippled and dependent upon her. How sad. How very sad.

You say you "really want to work". Well, then stop being a temper mental princess and go to work and stick with it, like the rest of us. My goodness, you will be a complete and total failure IF you keep up this fickle weak act. Go see a doctor who can treat you so you can go to work. Otherwise, your mommy will end up controlling your life.

You do have choices, you know?