I am drawing social security retirement from my social security retirement will I lose it if I get married?

I am at full retirement age and work 32 hrs week and still draw SS retirement and am allowed to work as much as I want to, if I get married will I lose my social security retirement benefits ? This is my retirement that I am drawing and not from a deceased husband but by what I earned while working. I only draw $488 per month, and I have refused to date or think about getting married because I don't want to lose my benefits.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

No you will not lose them

You earned them, they are yours

• Judy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

no, they won't be affected

• Judith
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Social Security is NOT a benefit based upon financial need. It is immaterial whether or not you are married. Your resources, your marital status and your living arrangements are immaterial.

When you became entitled to social security benefits you received an award letter. You should have read it. It told you what you need to report. Getting married isn't on the list. HOWEVER, your monthly benefit is so low that if you got married you would probably be entitled to additional benefits as a wife. To receive as a wife you must be married for one full year.

Even if you were getting a widow's benefit, remarriage at age 60 or later would not terminate that benefit.

If you get SSI (supplemental security income) instead of social security then you must report your marriage. His income will reduce or eliminate the SSI benefit but, on the plus side, a wife's benefit would probably be greater than what you are getting if on SSI. Unfortunately you must be married for one full year before you can receive a wife's benefit.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

You won't lose it completely but it will be reduced. That's why my grandma lived with her boyfriend instead of marrying him and that was 50 years ago.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

Of course not, you've earned those benefits.

• Judith
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

She won't but your reasoning is wrong. Plenty of benefits are lost or reduced due to marriage. It just so happens that this isn't one of them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.