Staap It asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 10 months ago

What camera suggestions, or what is required to shoot photos that will be professional quality at POSTER size when printed ?

I realize then you would also need a large format printer. Capable also of resolution 200 dpi or even better 300 dpi for sharpness. Sorry I am having a Brain Storm. I seem to be prone to this.

No Camera Suggestions ? Or how to do this 20 X 30 size photography, with a professional outcome ? At least normal poster quality like you see, I would like better though. I have used film cameras for decades, Digital is new to me. I HAVE a 14 megapixel DSLR, but, megapixels do not mean much. It is more the CAMERA.

Favorite Answer

Ok, I'm glad you said MP are not everything... BUT... when you are getting up into the 20 x 30 size, the more the better. You should be able to still get a good quality print at that size with your 14 MP camera though. You said nothing about your LENS. What are you using? You need a "professional" LENS as much, if not more, than a "pro" body. You need a lens that delivers excellent color and sharpness with little to no color fringing or weird artifacts. The Canon "L" lenses are typically very high quality, but costly, though all manufacturers have lenses that are better than the entry level stuff. You need to shoot at a low ISO, no higher than 200 if you can help it. Noise, (which in reality is just electronic gain), will make itself very apparent at large print sizes. So that means you may need a tripod to avoid blur due to a slow shutter speed. What format are you shooting? You need to shoot RAW and use a GOOD RAW converter such as Capture One or Lightroom. All these things need to come together if you want a quality large print.

You mention the printer itself. Do you have any idea of how massively expensive a large format printer like that costs? You are FAR FAR better off to have your prints made by a pro lab. Mpix is a good choice, though there are many others. You could have a house full of large prints made and still not spend the money you would spend on a large format printer of your own, not even counting the ink costs.

If you just have to have a camera recommendation, I have been quite happy with my Canon 5DSr. It is a full frame 50 megapixel body and I only use L lenses with it.

• John P

DSLR or mirrorless, thus with physically large sensor (pay less attention to the number of MPs). You will need some practice in using it. Never forget that the best photos are made in the eye and mind of the photographer.

My 5mp Minolta Dimage made perfect poster size (A2) prints. This was when 5mp was normal. Any DSLR or mirrorless with its kit lens is capable of what you want. Use a tripod to eliminate camera shake, take care with the focus and use a low (200) ISO. No reason at all why you wouldn't get a decent poster.

• Staap It

Thank YOU VERY much sir. Could save a HUGE expense on an Camera far more capable then needed REALLY.

Use a medium format digital camera if affordable

8K comes to mind.

Professional knowledge and skills.

Good luck might play a part, too, but don't count on it.