What difference should a Higher Octane gasoline provide in my car?

Trying to fill the gasoline in my 2003 Chevy Blazer, the fueling station ran out of fuel at the pump!

Having already paid for this fuel-up, the station agreed for me to finish-filling my tank with the higher-octane fuel; PREMIUM Unleaded at the cost of the lower-grade REGULAR Unleaded fuel I usually use in my car (simply because it is considerably less expensive.)

What / how / if any "noticeable" difference should I notice using this higher octane fuel (90) vs. the cheaper fuel (83) I usually use in my car?

Favorite Answer

You won't notice a thing. 87 octane gasoline burns better then higher octane gas because there are less inhibitors added to keep the gas from pre-igniting in your motor. Octane ratings are the amount of inhibitors added to the gas.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Probably not noticeable.

I've got a '65 Mustang 289 V-8 with a Holley 4bbl carb that I have to either run premium, or add octane boost to the gas, or it runs like crap.

My '04 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 (carbureted too) can get by with Plus.

It may go slighly better, you probably wont even notice the difference

• KY-Clay

Higher octane fuel in your car will provide no benefit whatsoever. In fact it may cause hard starting.

the ignition timing would have to be changed to get any benefit from it .....................

Nothing at all. Unless your engine requires higher octane gas to prevent "pinging" or detonation, higher octane gas does nothing. It doesn't keep your engine cleaner, it doesn't increase your fuel mileage, it doesn't give more performance and lastly, it won't hurt your engine.