why do you have to look people in the eye when talking?

really hate having to do that. whys it required to be considered polite? i can still hear you if im not looking at you.........we can still talk....... my eyes are not my ears bro..........

also eyes look freaky. so. thats another thing

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

bc with your eyes you see. what you look at and see is what you acknowledge the person you are talking to wants to be acknowledged. .

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Alan H
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

You may well hear.....but it looks as if you are not listening with any attention. Courtesy costs nothing

• payton10 months agoReport

what if im in the middle of something that needs my eyes' attention but doesnt need my ears' attention. what then, Marie And Alan.

• 10 months ago

Eye contact is very cultural. In many cultures, people maintain eye contact much longer than most Americans do. Anonymous is right that in many Asian cultures, people don't maintain eye contact very long. These things are so deeply embedded in people that it's very hard to change. But you CAN work on it- try just maintaining eye contact just a little bit longer than is comfortable for you. Then when that become comfortable, stretch it a little farther. But take your cues from the person you're talking to. If you maintain eye contact too long with most Americans, it makes them uncomfortable.

so youre saying that i can make any american uncomfortable if i stare at their pupils long enough? this may be a grave mistake youve just made

• 10 months ago

The eyes show (or indicate) whether you are paying attention to the speaker,

If you are looking elsewhere, the impression you are giving is that their message is not important enough for you to pay attention.

BTW, it's not just about looking into their eyes; it's about your whole body positioning.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

It's Asian culture not to look people in the eyes while talking to them, so maybe you were part Asian in a previous life

what the **** are you talking about

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.