Separation anxiety dilemma, take dog back to the shelter or can this be cured?

First, I would not abandoned a dog ever. But the shelter (they do not kill the animals, they treat them great) that we are evaluating the adoption has a two week testing to see if the dog is compatible with us and our lifestyle, and we are in that two week period. My partner wakes up very early, 5:00 am, and... show more First, I would not abandoned a dog ever.

But the shelter (they do not kill the animals, they treat them great) that we are evaluating the adoption has a two week testing to see if the dog is compatible with us and our lifestyle, and we are in that two week period.

My partner wakes up very early, 5:00 am, and I'm on a business travel. Our neighbor wrote us a letter telling us that the dog stars to howl and can be really loud when we are not at home, not letting our neighbor sleep.

The previous owner surrender the dog because cannot afford him, and I think that, and living in a cruel shelter before being rescued by the great shelter that doesn't kill animals, created this separation anxiety in the dog.

I love the dog, so much, and I don't care to spend money and time to fix this, but what happens if we train him and it does not work? What happen if the separation anxiety does not get cured?

Should I take the dog back to the shelter (it's a shelter that they do not kill them, they treat them greatly, not in cage or anything), and wait to another person (like a retired person that can spend the whole day with him) to adopt him?
Should I give it a try?

Please, help me. I do not want to be selfish, I want the best for the dog, and I'm between a decision that my heart tells me to keep him, but my mind tells me to let the dog be adopted by a retired person or a person that can expend 24/7 with him...
:(