Do I absolutely have to get my blood drawn someday?

I have a completely debilitating fear of needles, especially getting my blood drawn. I never want to have it done. Do I absolutely have to someday?

• audrey

Yes at some point you will. It's very unpleasant, but it's doable. No worse than a couple of flu shots.

Yes you will have to have it done. they can tell a lot about you if you are a diabetic for one or if your cloestrol is high or not. it does not take long to have a test taken. you look the other way and think about something that you enjoy in life and before you know it it is over. Thanks for the question.

• Opus

You don't have to do anything if you don't want to. But if you end up in the ER or hospital and you refuse to have your blood drawn then it will be impossible to diagnose you and get you proper treatment.

The vast majority of lab tests require blood samples. I suggest you get a sedative from a doctor and have someone drive you to and from the hospital/lab.

Wait until you get an IV in a vein in the back of your hand. You can feel the big needle all the way up your arm. Good times! Good times!

• polly

Yes,but needles for blood collection are so sharp & discreet nowadays

& the nurses do it in a manner that you'll hardly even know that it's happened.

I get regular blood work done because l came up as iron deficient from eating vegetarian food.

I dreaded going the first time to get my blood tested, but soon realized that it was nothing to be afraid of.

• VAA

Sometimes in life we just have to grin and bear it, and this is one time. Having our blood drawn saves lives and it can save yours. Be honest and tell the nurse/tech that you have a fear of needles, don't be ashamed. They see it every day. It helps them to be as gentle as possible. Look away, talk of something else if you have to. I welcome it each time I need my levels checked for meds, it tells me if I am getting better or worse. Good luck and be strong.

• Bob

Needles are fun!

If something severely wrong is occurring then yes.