I never knew you couldn't start a car if it's not in park. Is that pretty dumb of me?

I tried starting my car in reverse at work for like 5 minutes. Then when I went to get my battery checked, the guy laughed about it a lot when my battery was fine.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Best Answer

It's alright. Now you know. Cingratulations!

• 3 months ago

Yes, isn't it.

• 3 months ago

VERY VERY VERY VERY

• 3 months ago

I’ve seen this many times and have relieved some drivers of silly frustration when I shift the vehicle in park for them.

• Road Warrior3 months agoReport

I've sen motorcycle riders kick or crank Furiously, until I said the Gas was Off...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Almost all automatics will crank over on N as well. Manual transmission vehicles will start in any gear provided you depress the clutch pedal.

. In the older transmission vehicles (say 1985 on VW) it will crank over without depressing the clutch pedal. (which can be of use to you when you have to push your car out of a parking space that inclines downward.

So putting the car in reverse and then cranking it a bit will help you get it out of a hole(like you had another body pushing) You do it for a much shorter time period as it will burn out the starter motor faster & with a healthy battery. Get stuck alone and you figure these things out

• 3 months ago

That's how you learn things - nobody knows everything.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

You CAN start a manual in any gear. Just hold clutch pedal down.

Your Mechanic is Dumb. If you really want to split hairs, you Can even in 1st or R., It will probably immediately stall, or start moving.

Only an Automatic, With the lockout switches working, won't start in

"R". But Will in "P", Or , in "N". If switches broken/out of adjustment, Maybe in "R".

My Harley will start in gear, no clutch/gearbox/jiffy stand lockout. HD expects you to Know what you are doing. Not hold your hand like a Metric with all the safeties. Less to Go Wrong, too., Each safety switch also requires a switching diode--that is 6 ways to fail.

I agree; if this is the "dumbest" you do while driving, you are still a Quantum Leap above 66% of the cagers out there.

Source(s): I
  • 3 months ago

Just so you know the motor will also start in NEUTRAL.

• 3 months ago

some cars will also start in Nutral. If it is a stick shift it may start in any gear

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Yes, it was pretty dumb, but I'm sure you've learned from it and took the embarrassment on the chin. 🤭

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.