Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 11 months ago

Is the Walmart Valu-power automobile battery for $50 any good?

I have heard it is as good as a $100 battery except only 1 year warranty. Anyway, I bought one and none too soon. The old one, which had been giving trouble, gave up for good stranding me except for the spare which I easily installed. It feels like a hot new battery. Old one was a quality Interstate lasted from 2014.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

The last few times I bought these batteries I got about two years out of them even though they’re rated for one year. I think it’s kind of silly to pay a lot of money for batteries at places like AutoZone or NAPA, etc. I guess I’m just being cheap but it just doesn’t seem to make sense. And I guess there is wisdom in being cheap when you really don’t have that much money to begin with

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

Yes, they last about three years if you do not miss use them!

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

When you buy a battery you should look at the specification. This in usually stated in Amp Hours (AH) and Cold cranking Amps (CCA). So you need a battery that either matches or exceeds the factory fit. I always buy batteries with higher CCA than the original as then I know my car will start in the coldest weather.

• 11 months ago

Those batteries are just OK in quality. They won't last as long as an Interstate. No, the Valu-Power battery is not as good as Interstate. It seems that several brands that used to be premium are no longer so these days. Heck, even rechargeable flashlight batteries are not as strong as they were 10 years ago.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

Walmart batteries are made in the U.S. by Johnson Controls. Johnson Controls is the worlds largest battery manufacture. They make batteries for many auto manufactures and auto parts stores under many different names. A $50 Walmart battery will be as good as any other $50 battery.

• 11 months ago

probably as good as any other battery

• Scott
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

It's a $50 battery. You get what you pay for.

• L.N.
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

They are built the same as their other batteries but don't carry the longer warranty. They are a good deal.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

Probably made in China.

Probably reused lead, which cannot be pure, and will not work as well as a battery made with pure lead.

• 11 months ago

Since the Interstate battery lasted five years and was $100 - that is $20 per year. If the Wal-mart battery was over $20, then you paid too much.

• Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Yeah but the battey would have been 150. Also, who says it will last only one year? If it iast only a year or two then it is not a bargain. But if it last about as well as the next battery, then it is. I could have gone the other way and got an Optimo. This is reality checking.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.