Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 4 months ago

Are you concerned that the North Atlantic ocean current, which warms northern Europe, may be slowing due to global warming?

Favorite Answer

Yes. The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (Amoc) has weakened by 15% since 1950 as a direct result of Greenland ice melt and ocean warming. Global warming is almost certainly affecting ocean currents.

The impacts of this are not well understood. Our models of ocean currents are very flighty ... they have quite large differences in sensitivity and can produce wildly different scenarios because the processes are horribly non-linear. So predictions of doom and gloom need to be taken with a pinch of salty brine.

My worry is we are basically taking a complicated machine and randomly cutting teeth out of the gears without knowing fully how the machine works. Skeptics claim the machine will keep going with minor changes to its performance. Alarmists claim the machine will start to break down. We could just stop cutting the teeth out of the gears ... to be sure.

No screw them I don't live there. why should I care! I don't live there!

• Ludwig

Like I care two shits?

Not again? Didn't it do that a few years ago?

• Dirac

I'm concerned that it WILL slow down, but the evidence either way (speeding up or slowing down) is equivocal. It's not an easy thing to measure.

• JimZ

No and I think it is a scam. When someone suggests it has weakened by 15% since 1950, ask yourself how do they know that. They don't and in any event they of course try to blame anything that happens on humans because that is a trait with alarmists. It doesn't reveal a knowledge of science. It reveals an anti-human bias and willingness to believe whatever their leftist zeitgeist sources tell them to believe. Last I remember, it was all about how hot it was which was due to our CO2 and this will be one of the explanations if it cools; that polar vortexes. Again it isn't about science. It is about a leftwing political agenda and a desperate need for them to fool as many gullible people as quickly as possible .

• Dirac

Troll, there is a difference between objective reality and your uninformed speculation. That JimZ lies about the last 20 years of temperatures is not a matter of "opinion", he can't give any data source that supports that claim.

Yes,I stay awake every night,in bed,worrying about it.

The North Atlantic current warms a large portion of Western Europe, making countries like the UK & France much warmer than they would otherwise be. You only have to look at the other side of Europe at the same latitude to see what they would be like without the NAC, the Russian city of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is near the same latitude as London, yet is far colder.

• Horse4 months agoReport

The OP is a paid troll and sock account of user "Super Hans." He gives Best Answers to global warmist paid trolls. He also deleted my answer the first time I posted by reporting w/ all his socks.

Another day, another troll question...

• Horse4 months agoReport

• Andy C

May be what??

I'm certainly not concerned about the fact that it influences the climatic patterns in Europe and North America.

Am I concerned that it's warming up at an alarming rate? Of course.

• Horse4 months agoReport