What to do with my suitcase?

So I am going on a trip to Italy. The last time I went I flew from TN to NY then NY to Paris. But when I when I got to Paris I found out my suitcase was taken off the plane and was sent inside NY Airport and not on my plane. I had the ticket on my suitcase that said Florence Italy on it. So my question is am I... show more So I am going on a trip to Italy. The last time I went I flew from TN to NY then NY to Paris. But when I when I got to Paris I found out my suitcase was taken off the plane and was sent inside NY Airport and not on my plane. I had the ticket on my suitcase that said Florence Italy on it.

So my question is am I supposed to get my bags from the airport from the states and make sure they are on the plane or just go straight to my next gate and it’s supposed to be put on each plane I fly