Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 months ago

If you have a smoke fire in your apartment from your stove(no flames; just smoke) should you pull the fire alarm?

This happened to me recently where I was cooking on the stove and fell asleep. I woke up to the smoke alarm in my unit.

There was smoke everywhere in the kitchen, I could barely see what was going on. I was able to turn the element off, and move the pot off of the element onto another element and pulled the fire alarm in the hallway.

Turns out it actually melted the bottom of the stainless steel pot right off. And I had it on low simmering for several hours.

It melted the stainless steel pot. Melted the bottom of it right off. Ruined both front elements.

Was it unnecessary for me to pull the fire alarm? I had another tenant complain about people pulling fire alarms for a little bit of smoke; so that is why I am asking.

But even if there aren't any flames, don't you think it would be a concern if the electrical connections for the stove elements were melted? Or if there were any smoke damage to the oven itself? Or any smoke damage in the apartment? Cause the fire marshall ordered that an electrician come in to check the stove out...

Favorite Answer

the other tenant was out of line. better safe than sorry. and you had far more than "a little bit" of smoke

Your neighbor is a fool. What if you had gone out? Would the smoke have spread and perhaps killed someone? That's what smoke alarms are for: life safety. Pull the general fire alarm when people need to get out and someone needs to call the fire department to at least CHECK for fire, including hidden heat, and also exhaust the toxic smoke for you. You did the right thing. If the other tenant wants to continue to complain, have a fire inspector pay him a visit and explain the reality to him.

There could be harmful inhalants in the smoke.

Next time that happens, jump out the window and run to the nearest 7-11.

• Only pull if there is an actual fire.

• gilf8304 months agoReport

Do you even know what you're talking about? Or are you just talking for no reason, like most people do?

With smoke that thick you were right to pull it.

You should only pull if you you know there are flames

• Darren4 months agoReport

Smoke inhalation causes more death than the fire itself