Matt asked in PetsCats · 3 months ago

Reason for two cats to disappear?

So we had two ferrel kittens that we had spayed and neutered not too long ago and we pretty much domesticated them and they've just been outside cats. We would feed them every morning and every night with chicken hearts and dry food. They never missed a meal and were pretty comfortable with us. The black one even lets me pick him up and pet him. My dad will be doing work on the porch with the saw and drills etc and they don't even budge. They just lay there and sleep. But they both just disappeared without a trace. I guess it'd be one thing if it was just one and the other stuck around but they're both gone and haven't seen them for a couple days. Could a hawk have gotten both of them? A raccoon? The raccoons are near them all the time and never harm them but I know they get aggressive. Or do you think maybe they just went out to explore further than our porch? They're both only a few months old and from the same litter.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

I have seen cats missing before. there are several reasons. sometimes I understand that someone sees a pretty cat outside and picks them up and takes them home as pets, other times I've seen male cats who just suddenly change territories. maybe in search of food or maybe because they are looking for food maybe just because. also you have to check for unfortunate car accidents,

• 3 months ago

I hope the Human Society picked them up. Cats that live outside or get outside are much more likely to die or be injured.

• Sam
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

They'll be back.

Last week one of mine was missing for a couple days. Then one day I was calling him and I heard his whining meow coming from my neighbors side door. My neighbor is out of town and has someone who is feeding her cats. Mine likes to play with hers. Turns out the caretaker let him inside thinking it was her cat, because one of hers looks similar (orange) so he got trapped inside. I called my neighbor and she called the caretaker, and he came and let my cat out. .

Source(s): Maybe this will answer some of the others questions (opinions). Here are the facts. https://www.houstontx.gov/barc/trap_neuter_return....
  • 3 months ago

a friend living in a nearby suburb found one of her outside cats dying with claw injuries around its body.. she assumed it was racoon but not with deep talon marks as that...the predator that attempted to kill and eat that cat was a hawk, in this case the cat managed to escape but the injuries were fatal....at this time of the year the hawk/falcon population have juveniles hatched increasing the total numbers of them hunting around the country.....this has forced the coyote an animal that usually AVOIDS people to come closer to suburbs and towns looking for food, they even look for garbage... the proliferation of the hawk has limited severely coyote food sources which are small animals, rabbit and whatever lives in woodlands, this whole environment has been dramatically altered due to the resurgence of the predator bird...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 months ago

They could have been trapped, shot, poisoned, hit by car, mauled by another animal or taken by someone.

Or they could be exploring.. But being that they have resources of food, water and shelter.. And they are fixed.. I find that very unlikely that both wandered off to explore

• Nekkid Truth!
      Lv 7
      3 months agoReport

If you are so convinced they are just wondering around.. Then why ask what happened? Be realistic.. They COULD be wandering, or they COULD be dead somewhere. Feral cats live short lives.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

You're going to keep cats outdoors, then you shouldn't have any.

And pretty funny for an idiot like you to call other people "idiot".

• 3 months ago

CATS? These were KITTENS and now DEAD kittens thanks to you.

Most likely coyotes got them. They love to eat cats because they are so easy to catch compared to wild prey. They could also have been run over by cars.

If you cared about these cats why didn't you keep them INDOORS are safe? How sad they're dead at only a few months old! My last cat lived to over TWENTY TWO YEARS old!!!!

• OogieBoogie3 months agoReport

Not to mention cats can and do carry STDs that they pass along to each other, like FIV

• Anna E
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

It is not safe for adult cats to be outside let alone kittens. It is possible that maybe they were roaming around the area and another neighbor took them in. But it also is a definite possibility that they were killed by a male cat, a dog or another wild animal.

• 3 months ago

Honestly it could have been any of those things. I would leave some kitten food outside for them incase they're just wandering; it would help lure them back. Just be careful that other critters don't wander up, too!

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

They're dead. But that's okay because you couldn't be inconvenienced to take them inside and make them house cats. Who could blame you for being selfish?

EDIT: Hilarious, you allow the cats to roam loose and I'm supposed to be the idiot. Even an idiot could figure out a kitten running around loose is bound to get killed. Which means calling you an idiot is an insult to actual idiots. And anonymous means nothing, moron. Like anyone here is using their real names anyway.

• Star_of_Darkness
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

TNR is a waste of money and time. The cats need to be put down instead since they are PESTS that spread all kinds of diseases and parasites and slaughter wild life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.