Battery cable won't fit onto the battery terminal, what kind of adapter can help me?

Look at the photo below to see what I mean. The terminals of my batteries don't protrude enough to allow the holes to match up with the holes on my battery cables. I need some sort of a right-angle adapter, presumably, but the only ones I can seem to find are L-brackets for construction.

Conductivity is a concern here, so I'm not sure about using just any L-brackets from Home Depot or whatever. This battery bank is going to be pushed to the physical limits of cable size, cable run, and current. As you can see, the cables being used are enormous (4/0 AWG). I can't have adapters on the terminals being a conductivity bottleneck.

Any ideas what I could use? Are there actual terminal adapters that could help me? If so, what are they called?

**I ALWAYS choose a best answer. Your efforts are appreciated. Thank you to all.

• Joe
    Favorite Answer

I'd like to see more pictures, and learn a little more about what you're trying to do.

Absent that: Get solid copper bar stock, and fabricate buss bars for your batteries and physical mounting space. You'll need hardware that avoids dissimilar metals corrosion. That's what they do for utility scale telephone switchgear, and large-scale UPS designs.

• mermeliz

I think that adding a bar would increase the points of possible failure (loose connections, corrosion) in the future.

Adapter?

Your poor photo seems to need a proper bolt and nut for the connection.

measure your sizes. then visit your local auto parts store and see what they can come up with. high current application is fairly normal for them even if only 12 volts

Grind off a bit on the end of the cable tabs so the holes will line up, looks sooooo simple.

Drill larger holes in the connector.

• Lv 4

..;bright plated or copper flat washers are good,but will Have to be smaller diameter than usual:Maybe technically wrong size flat washers that just go over bolts(eg:metric, size smaller etc), But Need to Easily lie very Flat, so doNot use lockwashers; use two wrenches,& then coat with anticorrosive

If wire length is not a problem, then I would align the holes as best I can, then drill (or ream) a 1/4 inch hole through the both of them to allow them to be bolted together with a flat washer being used at the head of the 1/4 inch bolt and a flat washer and spring washer used at the nut! Forget the silly adapter idea! Use Grade 5 bolts and nuts! Make sure all of this is done without a load on the batteries!

Source(s): Retired industrial electrician

I can't find a source for what you are describing.

But if you can get ahold of some heavy gauge bus bar material, you could make your own to spec.

• skeptik

It sounded like he thought he might not be able to stretch the cables to fit, so he wanted some additional length and not just a connection. A short piece of copper bus bar with holes drilled at either end would do both.