Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 12 months ago

I need personal advice!?

I've been very depressed lately. And I know the reason why. I've recently finished my 2nd year of high school and I have a lot of regrets. For some reason I turned into this manipulative and back stabbing person that was very problematic. I don't go that school anymore. But now that I've reflected on my actions. And now that They have finally been acknowledge. I feel so shitty about the type of person I turned into. My past actions haunt me. I hate how I've hurt people and instigated problems. It’s been a couple months now and I just can’t forgive myself for all I have done (I was a mess and self sabotaging ). I hate that’s all people know me for at that school. I do deserve this feeling to be taught a lesson. But any advice/ experiences regarding my Situation?

Favorite Answer

I've been in a similar predicament recently ("OMG, how could I behave like that? Who was that guy who did those things?"), and something that helped me was reflecting, besides upon my own actions, upon the place where they happened; some environments are toxic, and a bad combination for certain persons, and bring the worst of them. Maybe there was something in that school that stirred you badly inside: hypocrisy, stiff rules, the conformity around... Reflecting about that environment, not only about yourself, can teach you a lot about you and what are your "hot buttons". Of course that won't change the past and does not justify cruel behavior, but if you can take a teaching out of it, nothing has been lost. We sometimes have to go through very tough experiences to become mature, and sometimes it is ourselves who provide ourselves those experiences... What I've learned and maybe it applies in your case too is that violence and roughness go back to the person who does them. The people to whom I hurt will have long and gladly forgotten me, but to me they still haunt me. I try to use it as a "fuel" to become better.

Some good answers already, and I wanted to add that sometimes it's about the people we are hanging with. If they are backstabbing, we may be afraid to show we disapprove, for fear of them turning on us. That tells you they're not the right kind of friends. People often act like that because they don't like themselves, so they're negative. There's a Bible principle at 1Corinthians 15:33: Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits. However it happened, give yourself credit for feeling sorry about it, and just resolve to do better. Forgive yourself as God forgives us when we're sincerely repentant. (Psalm 103:1-3). For more information see JW.org.

Do not tell people you enjoy harming them.......

“O COWARD conscience, how dost thou afflict me!” Those famous words, uttered by King Richard III in Shakespeare’s play of the same name, describe the remorse that the human conscience can provoke. In real life the conscience has unsettled and altered the lives of many.

The conscience is God’s gift to all men. It may accuse or excuse us. When we listen to it, it may save us from making mistakes, rationalizing away serious wrongdoing. So instead of ignoring its proddings or resentfully railing against it as Shakespeare’s King Richard III did, we should cherish and safeguard our conscience.

When we feel genuine remorse for a wrong we have committed and we repent and ask God to forgive us, he willingly does so—even for serious sins. “A heart broken and crushed, O God, you will not reject,” says Psalm 51:17.

A guilty conscience can help us avoid undesirable actions. Just as physical pain alerts us to a potential health problem, the emotional pain associated with guilt alerts us to a moral or spiritual problem that needs our attention. Once we are aware of the weakness, we are more inclined to avoid hurting ourselves, our loved ones, or others again in the future.

Source(s): shorturl.at/nswW7
  • Jr

Hey, no need to be so harsh on yourself. I mean you’re still young, we all make bad decisions when we are young. We all make mistakes, but it’s up to us to reflect upon them. The important thing here is that you noticed your mistakes.

Sure we can’t go back and change the past. But we can avoid doing the same mistakes and create a better future. Even if you were a not so good person in the past, you can change that now in the present.

Good luck :)

• Emily

I’m sorry to hear about your situation, friend. But it’s nice that you realize the issues and are willing to change. Please don’t be so hard on yourself. If it’s possible, try to speak openly and sort out things. Talk to your parents or a trusted adult and seek guidance. If you feel it's a serious concern, you can seek counseling assistance, too. Sending prayers your way… hang in there!