Can this get me struck down or in trouble?

I am writing my own book, and I wanted to know if I can use items from games and movies in said book. Ex. I wanted to put a monster from the game Dauntless into my book. I m just worried that I ll find out too late that I can get in trouble for this kind of thing. This might be a simple question to answer, but I m 15, with very little knowledge on the legal system

• Logan
    Favorite Answer

You can't take anything from anywhere that you haven't made up yourself unless you get the rights to use it.

• Brodie9 months agoReport

Thanks for the info.

You can get into trouble if you break any copy write laws.

• Whatever

Copyright, dude. Copywriting is entirely different.

If you use anything that's under copyright, that's a violation of international copyright law and will get you sued. If the monster in the game is something generic, like a vampire, that's in the public domain and legal. If it's something specifically created for the game then it's under copyright and illegal to use.

• Whatever

Sort of. Your character can say they like Pepsi over Coke and it won't get the writer into any trouble. You can see it in books all the time. Now if you're trash talking the hell out of a brand or claiming the monster as your own creation then yes, you can get sued.

Since it's not likely this book will be published I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you're not writing anything critical or claiming the monster as your own creation you should be fine. If it's your character talking about the monster it's ok.

Also, what is this "get me struck down" bit? It's not like some angry writer is going to come after you and run you over with their car.

• Marli

If the monster from Dauntless is different than other monsters of his type, like Shrek is different than other ogres, get legal advice before you publish it or send it to a literary agent. You'll change things about the monster to make him your own creation then. But right now, finish the story.