Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 4 months ago

Are we in a relationship?

I'm a guy. Been best friends with the same girl since childhood (Our parents were old friends) I'll call her K. We've always been close/trusted each other and K looks out for me, sometimes more than I'd like. She's super loyal, but sometimes she speaks for me or makes decisions on my behalf, thinking she knows what's best for me. She usually does, but she can be kind of stern when she believes she's right.

We're basically inseparable. My parents actually think we'll wind up married someday, I've overheard them. A lot of people mistake us for a couple when they first meet us, and I've noticed that K never corrects them. She also tends to be judgmental of other girls I talk to, disliking them for one reason or another.

In general, we don't have a lot of boundaries.Sharing a bed when we stay overnight, making each other lunches. She doesn't mind changing in the same room as me. I didn't think much of it until one morning I woke up while she was in the shower - and hadn't bothered to close the door. So I guess she doesn't mind if I see her naked? But it's not like she's that free with her body. She tends to dress modestly at school - never even wears tank tops except around me.

Did we just like...become a couple without me noticing? We were already planning on rooming together in college, once we graduate. I wouldn't put it past K to just decide that we're better off together, and start living life as my girlfriend without any input from me. I don't know what to think?

• Foofa

Yes, but it's more of a sibling relationship than anything that's ever bound to turn into romance.

If this is a true story, then ask her if she'd like to go out on a real, proper date with you. It's worth a try and it will let her know how you are feeling

That's what i think.

Then on the date, make the date about her

I would think so

"I wouldn't put it past K to just decide that we're better off together, and start living life as my girlfriend without any input from me."

Interesting how passive you are on relationships. If that's the case, then you're in a relationship only if she says so.

• Jon

She "looks out" for you "more than you'd like". She makes decisions for you without your input, and is "stern" when you disagree. She's "judgmental" toward other girls you talk to. These are the characteristics of a jealous and controlling person, and I think it would be best to stay out of a relationship with her. At the very least don't have sex with her. (Or stop if you are already.)

only if you want to be