Duck asked in PetsDogs · 11 months ago

How can i keep my rottweiler safe from bobcats?

There are bobcats in the area i live in and i'm afraid they might kill my rottweiler. Should i keep him indoors?

• Layne

I love Mountain Lions. Maybe you should talk to Big Cat Rescue. (Tampa) They take older and injured cats. They have at least 2 Mountain Lions. Besides, it is their habitat. Cats are powerful predators and being destroyed. Can't do that.

My basset hound puppy was unfortunately killed by a bobcat. So was my second and third. Keep bear mace handy.

• Ocimom

Unless its a small puppy, bobcats would not hurt or come near your dog.

Yes, you should keep him indoors. Most dogs couldn't fight off a bobcat, not even a rottweiler.

• Casey

Bobcats are about the size of a large house cat. A Rottie is 10times their size. A rottie could kill a bobcat easily.

Yes either bring him inside when you can't supervise him outside OR put in the time and money to build a very sturdy predator proof and escape proof outdoor dog enclosure.

A dog is no match for a bobcat. Keep your dog indoors unless you are supervising, and when out in an area where bobcats have been observed, make sure your have bear spray. Bear spray is the one of the most effective methods for preventing attacks from large cats without harming the wildlife or the surrounding habitat.

• Casey

large cats? you do realize a bobcat weighs around 19lbs and is about the size of a large housecat right? My domestic cat weighs more than a bobcat.

In my experience, anything larger than a cat will usually make the bobcat run the other way, as long as kittens aren't involved. A rottweiler can definitely handle himself. :)

I don't think that a bobcat is going to try to kill your Rottweiler. Not unless it has rabies. Your Rottweiler could hold its own against a bobcat. and the two shouldn't have any problems staying away from each other again unless the bobcat has rabies.

She says....

If your really so worried..Then go buy a scattergun; a bunch of rocksalt ,

a self loading kit. and a high power flashlight build some rocksalt cartridges and use em.....

.....And when you have, Then they aint never comin back not never ever once, ( They will not even be glad that they got away with their lives for a good ole while either eh)

maybe you can talk to animal control about the bobcats and they might pick them up

• J C

Animal control deals with cats and dogs - not wildlife.