Duck asked in PetsDogs · 11 months ago

How can i keep my rottweiler safe from bobcats?

There are bobcats in the area i live in and i'm afraid they might kill my rottweiler. Should i keep him indoors?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Layne
    Lv 5
    11 months ago

I love Mountain Lions. Maybe you should talk to Big Cat Rescue. (Tampa) They take older and injured cats. They have at least 2 Mountain Lions. Besides, it is their habitat. Cats are powerful predators and being destroyed. Can't do that.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

My basset hound puppy was unfortunately killed by a bobcat. So was my second and third. Keep bear mace handy.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Unless its a small puppy, bobcats would not hurt or come near your dog.

• 11 months ago

Yes, you should keep him indoors. Most dogs couldn't fight off a bobcat, not even a rottweiler.

• Casey
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Bobcats are about the size of a large house cat. A Rottie is 10times their size. A rottie could kill a bobcat easily.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

Yes either bring him inside when you can't supervise him outside OR put in the time and money to build a very sturdy predator proof and escape proof outdoor dog enclosure.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

A dog is no match for a bobcat. Keep your dog indoors unless you are supervising, and when out in an area where bobcats have been observed, make sure your have bear spray. Bear spray is the one of the most effective methods for preventing attacks from large cats without harming the wildlife or the surrounding habitat.

• Casey
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

large cats? you do realize a bobcat weighs around 19lbs and is about the size of a large housecat right? My domestic cat weighs more than a bobcat.

• 11 months ago

In my experience, anything larger than a cat will usually make the bobcat run the other way, as long as kittens aren't involved. A rottweiler can definitely handle himself. :)

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

I don't think that a bobcat is going to try to kill your Rottweiler. Not unless it has rabies. Your Rottweiler could hold its own against a bobcat. and the two shouldn't have any problems staying away from each other again unless the bobcat has rabies.

• 11 months ago

She says....

If your really so worried..Then go buy a scattergun; a bunch of rocksalt ,

a self loading kit. and a high power flashlight build some rocksalt cartridges and use em.....

.....And when you have, Then they aint never comin back not never ever once, ( They will not even be glad that they got away with their lives for a good ole while either eh)

Attachment image
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

maybe you can talk to animal control about the bobcats and they might pick them up

• J C
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Animal control deals with cats and dogs - not wildlife.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.