Theists, in theory, is there anything god could say that would make you not believe him? Why or why not?

No

because

if God said something

and if I (or you) knew that God said that something

then I (or you) would know for certain that God did exist.

No absolutely not because God will never say anything which contradicts His precious and living Word and in there, God has already told us that NOTHING - absolutely NOTHING can separate us from the love God has for us in Christ Jesus. I believe Him and what He has already said.

Therefore, that keeps me solid and secure in His love and nothing could change that for me

The question is a logical fallacy in it's nature. Same as asking "Can God make a rock so big He can lift it?"

• Tangi

The other answerers seem to interpret "not believe him" as "not believe in him".

What I did understand is "not believe him" as in "not believe that what he said is true".

Maybe you could clarify what you asked.

Edit : for those who don't bother to read comments, it's indeed "not believe that what he said is true" and not "not believe that he exists".

Why would I not believe in the one talking to me. Is this supposed to be a trick question?

• Paul

LOL, that's a good one. Anything GOD could say that would cause me to stop believing in the one who said it?? In any case, it is impossible to stop "believing in" someone you have known personally for many years.

• Hercules9 months agoReport

I didn’t say believe in

• Cyrus

You're question is referring to a paradox. I'm thinking of the actual term, it may be the Losing Battle paradox, but anyway your paradox explains a strategy to get your opponent to not be able to have a coherent response to an argument that contradicts the claim (whether or not the argument exists). For ex: if you ask any theist what they would say if god told them to not believe in him, see what their answer would be. If it falls into the realm of "god would never ask/demand that", then you've won the argument lol. The point of the paradox is to get someone to have afflicting perspectives of their believes/claims. You can't truly believe in a god and not believe in one at the same time. It's a real head scratcher lol

Hope I Helped ^_^

• Jim V

Ummm ... you do know that your question is a self contradiction ... right?

• Jim V

If you think that God might speak an untruth that gives us a reason not to believe God, then what we have is a contradiction in our understanding of God’ nature and character.