I'm about to join the US MARINE CORPS. Should I write letters to my friends and family in case something happens to me?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately..What if someday they'll send me to Iraq or Afghanistan? I was thinking about writing 5 or 6 letters for my friends and family and to give them to someone I can trust to open just if something happens to me. Plus, what are my chances,REALLY,of being actually being... show more I've been thinking about this a lot lately..What if someday they'll send me to Iraq or Afghanistan? I was thinking about writing 5 or 6 letters for my friends and family and to give them to someone I can trust to open just if something happens to me. Plus, what are my chances,REALLY,of being actually being sent into combat within the next year? What scares me,kinda,is that back in 2006 my friend's brohter joined the Marines like in july and in Jan 07 he was in Iraq,where he saw his buddies die everyday or so. What do you think?
Update: Plus,technically speaking. Are we at war right now?