Why does electric discharge occur?

I understand how it happens. The charges in the cloud get separated due to winds, the negative charges move down, while the positive move up in the cloud. The negative charges then starts to repel the negative charges at the ground causing the ground to become net positively charges. Then something called a... show more I understand how it happens. The charges in the cloud get separated due to winds, the negative charges move down, while the positive move up in the cloud. The negative charges then starts to repel the negative charges at the ground causing the ground to become net positively charges. Then something called a ''ladder'' happens. The negative charges of the cloud starts moving down looking for positive charges, while the positive of the ground move up to find negative. When they meet, the discharge occurs.

That's all fine, just one question - WHY?

Why do the negative and positive charges need to ''find'' each other, and move towards each other aka discharge? So the negative charges need to do what? Move to find the positive, and then what happens? both disappear? The cloud was net neutral i.e. both negative and positive charges were present, so why when they get separated, they need to ''collide'' with each other? why did they not do that while they were neutral in the first place?