Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 6 months ago

Is 13 credits for first semester in college okay?

Upcoming college freshman here, and I just got hit in the face by reality of how expensive college is. I had little to no help with preparing for my college since my parents and older sibling didn’t go to the college I was attending. My scholarships and loan is already used in my tuition but there are still leftover charges in my account.

Ideally, I was going to get 16 credits this semester to reach the minimum 15 credits per semester to graduate on time. However, I cannot afford the one class that just got added to my schedule (sociology) so I am considering to just go for 13 credits and hopefully get a part-time job (maybe campus job) and then go for 18 credits the next semester to catch up. My question is if this is a good idea?

My father already covered part of my tuition and my textbooks, but to ask him to pay for this one class makes me feel guilty and bad because it is quite expensive. I just don’t know if I should just resort to 13 credits so I could better prepare myself for next semester.

If you are a first generation college student, also make sure how the courses you are taking are applying to your degree(s) by looking at your degree requirements in the course catalog.

When I went to college I did not understand this fully. Many classes can help you obtain more than one major, while some classes are useless.

My "advisor" didn't help me in regard to this whatsoever. It cost me an extra year, and if I had been smarter, with two more classes (or wiser selection) I could have graduated with three major degrees, instead of one major and three minors . . .

• drip

At the majority of universities their full time tuition covers 12-18 credits per semester. So if you take 12 credits or take 18 credits you pay the same amount of tuition.

You should of met with a college adviser before signing up for your classes. Most universities require all freshman to do this over the summer at freshman orientation. Our community college does require it, but strongly recommends all freshman meet with a college adviser before resisting for classes.

yes. The customary is 15. [ 3 classes at 5 days a week. ] 12 in the min for full time.

• John

Considering you haven't started yet, 13 credits might be advantageous. Many students have difficulties adjusting from high school to college academics. Less hours that first semester might help if you find yourself in that situation. You can always make up the shortage by taking 18 credits in later years.

1. There’s nothing wrong with taking 5 years if that’s what it takes.

2. Have you looked into options that are less than a fill 4-credit class? Physical Education, Art and Education often have shorter credit offerings.

I'm sorry to hear this. My university has capped tuition at 12 hours- students can take 15 or 18 credit hours for the same price as 12. Go and talk to the financial aid people- your school may have something in place to help students in your situation.

To me, it would seem better to pay a little bit extra now, than to have to pay for an entire extra semester at the end. Why not ask your dad what he thinks?

Anyway, are you sure the sociology classes raise your tuition? At many, if not most, colleges, a full time schedule costs the same whether you take 12 credits or 16 (although an overload of more than 18 or 20 credits sometimes carries an additional charge).

i would talk to one of the counselors at your school about it

• How many credits do you need to graduate? When I was in college, we needed 120 credits and you needed to complete at least 2 summer semesters, which worked out to 12 credits per semester. 18 credits in a semester is insane. That's how you end up burning out.

On the upside, your rate for each credit should be locked in until you graduate or drop out and apply for readmission. The contract you signed with your college when you registered should cover that. So there's no real need to stress yourself out with 18 credit semesters.

It's a little late to tell you this now, but if you're in a public university in your resident state, it would have probably been better for you to go to an accredited community college first. The rates are generally cheaper, you don't pay for extra things (like athletic fees, higher administration fees, etc...), and work load is a little more relaxed. You get 2 years to suss out which majors you really want to consider and in the meantime, you'll work towards an Associate's Degree, whose credits will transfer to any public university in your state.

13 units is not bad. Ideally, it's more of a borderline.

15 units is recommended if you plan on graduating on time.