Is 13 credits for first semester in college okay?

Upcoming college freshman here, and I just got hit in the face by reality of how expensive college is. I had little to no help with preparing for my college since my parents and older sibling didn’t go to the college I was attending. My scholarships and loan is already used in my tuition but there are still... show more Upcoming college freshman here, and I just got hit in the face by reality of how expensive college is. I had little to no help with preparing for my college since my parents and older sibling didn’t go to the college I was attending. My scholarships and loan is already used in my tuition but there are still leftover charges in my account.
Ideally, I was going to get 16 credits this semester to reach the minimum 15 credits per semester to graduate on time. However, I cannot afford the one class that just got added to my schedule (sociology) so I am considering to just go for 13 credits and hopefully get a part-time job (maybe campus job) and then go for 18 credits the next semester to catch up. My question is if this is a good idea?
My father already covered part of my tuition and my textbooks, but to ask him to pay for this one class makes me feel guilty and bad because it is quite expensive. I just don’t know if I should just resort to 13 credits so I could better prepare myself for next semester.