Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 4 months ago

Which driver was in the wrong here?

Today I was helping my sister drive in the street since she is still learning the ins and outs of driving. She got to an intersection which turned yellow just as she got to crosswalk and passed the intersection while it was yellow while going slightly below 35mph. On the other side of the intersection was a car waiting to turn left. Around the same time that my sister crossed the intersection (while it was yellow), that driver attempted to make his left. My sister freaked out immediately but was able to maneuver around that driver and safely made it to the other side of the intersection with no incident. Who made the mistake in this case?

• car253

Your sister going straight has the right of way. it is legal to go through a yellow light. It all comes down to right of way. Your sister is NOT at fault.

Source(s): Insurance agent. This is close to the number 1 cause of accidents.

The vehicle turning left would have been 100% responsible if a crash had happened. Doesn't matter what colour the light was, even if it was a fresh red.

Turning left is a lot like backing up: If anything happens while you're doing it, it's your fault. If lightning hits your vehicle while turning left, I'm pretty sure that's the only thing you wouldn't be held responsible for. But don't quote me on that, because I just might be wrong.

• car253

Obi, Great answer. Absolutely correct.

• May

Wow! The intersection turned yellow ! That must have been quite the sight.

All "what if" questions should always be addressed to a psychic because they are the only ones who can answer such questions

Seems like the other driver. The only way they could have made that turn legally is if they had to yield. The other driver may have assumed that your sister was slowing down to stop. And then she continued going.

Odds are the herky-jurkey performance of the neophyte provoked the other driver to act on his own. But your sister did not make an actual mistake. There are a lot of people ready to rush through if you give them the chance. They make driving uptight.

The car turning left in this situation is required to wait until it's SAFE to complete his turn.

Good job on your sister's part avoiding a collision.

The left turning vehicle has to yield the right of way.

i think the other driver did, he shouldve waited for your sister

If you are teaching someone how to drive you should know your state's laws.

The turning car, by the sounds of it, if your sister had the right or way (going straight)