why is blood pressure different on both arms?

my left arm was 166/104, my right arm was 152/101.

I was at my doctor he said it was high but he didn't send me to the ER. My bp is normally this high. Eceryone in my family has high blood pressure

Whichever side, that is high blood pressure.

Blood pressure constantly changes from second to second as the heart beats. (What we measure as Blood pressure, in terms of pump physics breaks down like this: the top number is the direct measurement of the net force the heart muscle applies when contracting, and the bottom number is the residual pressure when the heart is at rest.) Therefore, if I take your blood pressure multiple times it will always be different, but it should be fairly close, within about 10-20 mmHg. However, if pressure on one side of the body is dramatically higher than pressure on the other side, this is a sign of a clot or constriction causing high pressure build up on one side of the clot or constriction and low pressure on the other side of the clot, due to pump dynamics and basic physics, since blood only flows in one direction under normal circumstances.

Source(s): Paramedic
  • Layne

My last check was 104/66. I weigh 99lbs at 5'3". There I said. Slightly underweight. I am healthy except for one big problem.

you need to ask your doctor this question

Doesn't matter. You need to go to the ER now. The readings are BOTH way too high.

Keep in mind that battery operated cuffs can be notoriously inaccurate. Wrist cuffs are basically garbage, & upper arm cuffs are hardly infallible.

BPs of 150s over 100s are not an immediate emergent condition; however, if uncorrected over a period of time can lead to serious & lethal issues. Left sided heart failure (as just one example) can be linked directly to a prolonged period of time with uncorrected BP in the range you have reported. Generally speaking, when the SBP (top number) reaches 180 & greater, this is a number that should be addressed immediately.

People who repeatedly have a difference of 10 to 15 mm Hg for systolic pressure are more likely to have vascular disease. A large difference in blood pressure measurement between your arms may be a sign of a health problem, such as blocked arteries in your arms (peripheral artery disease).

Who the hell cares...either reading is dangerously HIGH. Get your sorry butt to the E.R. RIGHT NOW!!