Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 6 months ago

Have you had a teacher that tried to embarrass you?

I took an AP English class last year (junior year) and the teacher I had was known to be the meanest teacher in the grade and always says what is on his mind. Because of personal issues going on at home (My brother died in a coma), I wasn't putting full effort towards the class. And because of that, he called me lazy in front of the whole class when I forgot to turn in an assignment. He was like, "Why are you so lazy, Anna?" with everybody started staring at me. It was so awful.

No. I've never had a mean teacher who tried to do that.

The teacher may not have purposely tried to embarrass you.

He may just be unable to filter out what he's thinking before he

says them. His thoughts go directly from brain to mouth.

Well I am sorry that that happened. However you have to think the teacher may be going through things as well. Teachers take it as rude if you don’t put forth some effort. It could have also been something to try and get you to work harder so you do not fail.

• Cu Tie

You should just try out for you school's football team this season, just to prove a point to that teacher :)

I'm sorry this happened, but I'm fairly sure that the teacher had no way of knowing about your family situation unless you told him. You should have talked to him after class to explain why you seemed to be not paying attention, and apologize for it. I'm sure he would have been understanding. Don't expect teachers to read your mind.

• Lili

It would have been better if he'd requested that you to stay after class and then asked you that question. In the circumstances (and I am a college professor), I wouldn't have had a problem if you'd replied, "Well, my brother died, so I've had a lot on my mind."

Some teachers do feel that "tough love" is the better way to go -- that's always been the case -- and you do need to figure out how to deal with it, because people like that will always be in your life. The corners of the world will not be padded for you.

However, why didn't your teachers know about your brother? Normally, this information would have been disseminated. That makes me very suspicious of your story.

Don't use family members' deaths -- or supposed deaths -- to troll.

Yes and this is minor. You need to get over it and not be concerned what happened last year.

I really wish you could have answered him with the truth, "Soory I uess I'm a little off because MY BROTHER DIED!