Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 months ago

If I accidentally shared a website on reddit that happened to display child pornography, then I deleted my post, account, and email. Help?

I shared a website (which I thought was exclusively about BDSM but turns out there was more involved) to a kinky subreddit. 2 hours later, the mods inform me that the website I shared contained child pornography and that they were going to report my account to the authorities for doing so. They removed my post and I decided to delete my account and delete the email that was associated with such account.

I am literally terrified that the police are going to show up to my door and drag me away to jail because I happened to accidentally share a website to a forum (and PM'd 2 different people with the same website because they ASKED to see it) and it turned out to contain CP when I had no idea it actually did. Thoughts?

@Donald K: I guess you missed where I mentioned I used an anonymous account, right? And that I deleted said anonymous account and deleted the email associated with said account?

I honestly take you for a troll because there are literally no instances you can find where "Someone was arrested early in the morning for it." Ok, if that's true, how can that person be found using an anonymous account on a website like reddit where people share illegal porn with eachother everyday anyways?

@Donald K: Not to mention that you even started it off by saying "It's your fault for looking at PORNOGRAPHY." LOL wut? People deserve to go to jail for watching porn? Is that what you're saying?

It is not against the law to share information about a pornography site it's only illegal to send that pornography through the internet to another person. Or to sell the link! If you have any of that pornography on any of your electronic devices. Do yourself a favor and avoid 20 years in prison and totally reset those devices and erase them if the police do show up and confiscate your devices make darn sure that they're not going to find one single picture one single picture is 15 years in prison if it's an underage sexual exploitation of a minor.

Not sure bro. If you only deleted your account and email, you should probably be fine. If the site wasn't directly about child pornography, you should also be fine.

At any rate, I wouldnt worry about it too much.

ii hope you get maximum castigation for your immature and inappropriate choice. and … fwiw … i don't believe any of your excuse … you deserve to be punished. oh, yeah … have a good day. :)

• Jason Brody9 months agoReport

Truly hilarious how you can't type a single coherent sentence without sounding like a clown.

• John

!) Having an anonymous account means that other users can't see you. It doesn't mean that the server isn't logging your DNS, which it may or may not. If it was me, I would log everybody. 2) They still don't know WHO you are, just your DNS, maybe. If you had downloaded sensitive material then you would have a problem. Just putting the URL out there is fairly harmless, legally. 3) Maybe all of this put you on some watch list but I seriously doubt anybody will come knocking. 4) BTW, there is no excuse for possession of CP. It is illegal all the time, no matter what.

• John

I take the OP's protestations at face value plus why would a child molester post this? So - if I suggest that you visit www.racypics.com (made up), how are you to show that I know it has kiddie porn, just from my sharing it?

It's your fault for looking at pornography. I've read about cases like this. The FBI/Police have zero tollerance policies for child porn. You should expect the police to show up early in the morning on the day they do arrest you. To will be tried and the jury will likely find against you. I've read about people who have successfully fought cases like this to be released from prison, but your name will probably be published none the less. Prepare for the worst.