emily asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 6 months ago

ROOMMATE ISSUES: Is it ridiculous to leave a rinsed dish in the sink for less than a day?

In my short lunch break between classes I had a bowl of soup before I had to rush to my next class. I rinsed the bowl spoon and sink and left the bowl in the sink. I had a long evening and was very busy with work and homework coming in around 1 AM and my roommate says “I will literally cry if you don’t wash that bowl right now” and I explained to her I had a long day and I am going to sleep but I’ll get to it tomorrow. The next day I get done with class around noon and plan to take care of it then and as soon as I walk in the door she immediately says to me thank goodness you’re back you need to wash your dishes now. Like first of all I didn’t even get a second to breath, it’s not like there’s gross old food on it I literally had rinsed it off. This is our first week living together and I’ve cleaned up after myself so it’s not like this was the breaking point for me being the biggest slob in the world because I’m not. But she’s such a neat freak that I feel like I am walking on eggshells in my own home. I have never been a perfectly clean person but knowing how she is I have been trying SO hard to be as neat as possible but it’s still not good enough for her. I just don’t know what to do. I hate that I feel like I can’t live in my own place without getting yelled at. Am I overreacting?? And this is just one example. I just can’t live up to her standards without making myself miserable.

Favorite Answer

So a simply solution would be to keep a handful of disposal plates or bowls on hand for those times when you need one dish in a hurry and will not have time to wash it afterwards. Bypasses the whole issue.

• Layne

I think disrespectful to be sloppy..

• Tony6 months agoReport

you lucky I had something with hot food ,someone was not happy how I like live we at school due half a day college then back to school, someone said hot food thia good time we 5 mins break the buger came I was so late for class , I use to go the machine with food in, it case so much tromble it was

• Edna

I think you need to find a new roommate. The one you have now is being ridiculous.

I think she's being ridiculous. And also rude by demanding that you wash it at 1:00 in the morning.

Tell her if it bothers her so much, THEN SHE WASH IT.

OR you can always leave it in your room, until you wash it. Note; you may just have to learn to deal with this person with OCD.

You need to sit down your roommate and come to an agreements about this that works for the both of you. This means you need to talk about it together and more importantly learn to resolve situations straight on if you want this roommate stuff work smoothly for the both go you and that's how you need to sit her down.

You are obviously different people, with different values and you should be able to come to a compromise where both can feel good with. This requires both of you to give in at times and an attempt to understand each other, but more importantly respect each other and thus talk things through.

If you start the conversation something like this and ask her to be open to your side of things as well, you're likely to get her to work with you and you two indeed can come to some sort of resolution. You are not a neat freak nor should you be forced to live up to her expectations. You are right, rinsing the bowl can be enough, although if you're using this water you might as well clean it completely (only 2 more actions, soap and towel), but that's beside the point here. If she wants the bowl to be clean or thinks that rinsing isn't enough then she will have to clean it up herself. It's as simple as that.

That doesn't means she doesn't get anything at all, because you can attempt to be a little better at your time management so you indeed can do the whole tast. As I pointed out, it's not that much extra work to do it all and you can agree to try so she feels good too. However you, like her, need to get the space to let things slip or slide on occasion if indeed you're late or something else comes up. It happens from time to time and you should not have to endure a meltdown because of one shitty bowl. Especially not if she can take care of the problem as easily herself. And of course the same applies to you too, not giving her a meltdown over something if you two should talk about.

This is the start of you two living together. To make it liveable together you need to make agreements together. The faster you do this, the better and easier the rest of the year and possibly longer will go between the two of you.

It's good practice in standing up for yourself, and what's right too, learning to negotiate (something you'll need later on) and it can help improve your communication skills, which is another valuable skill. So sit her down and have a talk about this.

If she is unwilling to work with you, ask for someone who's in charge of housing to mediate. And if that doesn't work you can always see if you can't get another roommate. But try to work things out together first. Talk to her and then see what your next step is, because no you should not have to walk on eggshells just because your new roommate is such a neat freak. It's your home too and you should be able to feel at home too.

• audrey

I'd leave the damn dish there for a week. What a witch.

Sharing is hard but it is good practice for when you are married. Being sensitive to other people's hot buttons is a great way to have a happy life. Never wait, do it when first asked and remember that request to modify future behaviour.

• Kayla

No it s not "ridiculous," but honestly it takes under one minute to rinse and wash a dirty dish.

• Eva

Anyone that would cry over a dish left in the sink is mentally unstable.