Is it the director’s job to tell actors how to act in a movie?

Favorite Answer

To a point. He "directs" where and what and when. Most actors/actresses know the How. Still, there can be miscommunication. What is seen on camera is rarely what is wanted by the director to look on the print. That's why so many takes. Actors/actressses often argue with directors over it.

Yes. They tell "direct" them to where to go I would imagine.

I would think so, since he or she is in charge of the movie, but you would think so actors or actresses are doing their first movie, so that they won't have that amount of acting experience.

Sort of. More so, though where to stand, etc. Hopefully the actor already knows how to act.

• Mark

Not really. Aside from making a discovery of a complete unknown (exceptionally rare), the director will guide the actor in his/her performance - hopefully, avoiding 'acting' and going for emotional honesty.

Almost all actors are highly skilled in their craft, taking endless masterclasses and workshops on being a better actor, being truthful/in the moment - take after take. Some directors understand this, and know how to mine it, but many do not.

• Kathy

It is not the director's job to tell the actors how to act. He/she tells the actors where to be in each scene.

• Thorn

Partially. Often they know who the actors are and want the actors to give their best performance.

I think it was Kubrick who said, "I'll know when I see it"