Andy asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 12 months ago

Why is curry not very popular in the US?

In the UK, curry was very popular among white British people. In the US, usually those south asian immigrants order curry and white Americans just order chinese or sushi. I don't know why it is like that.

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

Actually, it is, but in more measured amounts. And Americans don't call EVERYTHING from Pakistan or India "curry" (I've even heard someone from Britain calling the dessert "rice pudding curry".) Oh, and Americans don't eat "celebration foods" as "everyday foods", like "biryani". It's probably because there are more East Asians (what you charmingly - in a 1940s kind of way - call "Orientals"). Canada has about equal amounts of South and East Asians and THEY don't eat curry every day, either. Also I am QUITE amused when Brtish people say "let's have an Indian". I thought "where, at a brothel? or are you going to kidnap one", but then there are so many expressions that make me chuckle (no, some differences don't make me laugh), like "give the rug a Hoover" (for "vacuum the rug"). I think "OK, Rug, here's a Hoover. Live long and prosper."

It is true, yet Indian food can be very delicious.

• Clive

It's popular in the UK because the UK used to rule India, people who served out there in the army or in colonial government got to like it and brought it home, so it's been around for a long while (Queen Victoria enjoyed it). The USA just hasn't had the same heritage and history. What it HAS had is more Chinese and Japanese people crossing the Pacific and of course they brought their food with them, so Americans are more used to that.

Now coming into the 20th century, there was free movement of people around the British Empire as we were all British subjects so there was also a lot of immigration from India and Pakistan, and a popular thing for them to do was start restaurants. Which of course means even more curry, and done better too as they taught us how to do it properly. What is this thing called "curry powder"? That shocked them, but we just didn't know about spices.

I could say the same about Italian food. The USA had a lot more Italian immigrants so the USA got to know about pizza and pasta, though most of what there is is American adaptations that would be unknown in Italy. Meanwhile the UK was clueless about it until much later. There is a famous 1950s BBC April Fool about the spaghetti harvest and people really believed it grew on trees. As a boy 40 years ago, spaghetti came in tomato sauce in cans and pasta any other way was rare and exotic!

They’re not accustomed to stronger flavors ethnic dishes include, such as cumin and curry.

It's a new thing in my town for sure. I think its just slowly starting to catch on. When I was growing up we had 1 Chinese food buffet and nobody would even try sushi. Now we have a bunch of asian fusion restaurants and upscale sushi places are super popular. Just give it some time.

• CB

British rule of India for 200 years is one reason it is so popular.

Curry is popular in UK because UK has more people from India who live there.

UK also had colonies in India and many UK people got to know and love a good curry during that time.

• A.J.

Popular food preferences are different throughout the world and even locally. It is personal preference. Some factor is by what a person grows up eating. I do believe curry is most popular in India, and India was a British colony at one point and maintained a higher level of direct trade than in the USA.

I live in Las Vegas, NV USA and I do believe every type of food in the world is available.

There are over 6000 restaurants within 12miles 19.3km from my home. About 43 per sq mi or 5/sq km

There are 28 Indian restaurants.

The 2011 UK Census recorded 1,451,862 residents of Indian, 1,174,983 of Pakistani and 451,529 of Bangladeshi ethnicity, making a total South Asian population of 3,078,374 (4.9 per cent of the total population), excluding other Asian groups and people of mixed ethnicity

US is about 1.5% South Asian.

• P

The US is a very diverse place. In my area it's very popular among white people. Basically the more common a particular type of food is available over a longer period of time the more people who grew up around it will be likely to try\like it. We had curry available at many restaurants growing up over the last 30 years. Other neighborhoods in the US haven't had restaurants around that have served it for that long, so local people never got used to it. The British have had curry "on the menu" for longer than many places in the USA so people there are just more familiar with it.

Fewer south asians..........

Same reason Doner Kebab is popular in Germany.